All-Star Flyer And Stretching Tips For Older Athlete

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 10, 2016
Hey everyone,

I tried to search for posts on this but didn't have much luck!

I recently joined an adult rec team for fun and am flying. However, I've never flown before and I'm definitely on the heavier side (130 pounds). I know weight doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but I also don't want my inexperience to make me feel heavier than I am! So if anyone has some really good tips for flying, that would be great!

I'm also looking for stretching tips because I'm super inflexible! I've never been flexible, even as a kid so I'm finding stretching really challenging. I don't know if this plays a part but I have hyperextended knees and I find that the muscles behind my knees are the tightest so if anyone knows any good stretches that target those muscle groups that would be even more helpful!

Thank you!!

Hi!

A couple tips for flying (when holding a lib, or any position)
1. Stand on the ball of your foot (and stack your body over in a perfect straight line)
2. Pull your toes up (it will lock your ankle)
3. Straighten your knee
4. Keep your hips in a straight line (parallel to the ground)
5. Lift your body as much as possible into a completely straight line
6. Pull your core in
7. Open your high V (it will help you open your chest while closing your core and keep your back straight)
8. Smile and look confident!

For stretching, one of the most effective techniques is called PNF stretching.
The five steps are:
1. Stretch until you reach the ending point
2. Contract the stretched muscle group (5-6 seconds)
3. Relax and apply controlled stretch to the muscle (20-30 seconds)
4. Let your muscle recover (20-30 seconds)
5. Repeat process 2-4 times.

We hope this helps you out with flying and stretching! If you have any questions let us know and we can definitely help you out! Keep working hard.

Back