Flyer Back Flexibility

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 24, 2014
Two of my flyers are really struggling to pull scales/needles/scorps... what are some stretches that will help increase back flexibility?

I do lots of bridges, and Mexican handstands against a wall (Google it :) )

I also got a stuntstrap which helps you pull a stretch even if you're not quite grabbing it yet. I think it was only a couple of dollars

And stretch everyday!

I've been stretching for my needle for 5 weeks now you can look at my progress and some stretches on Instagram @sarahbeaton23

Hope this helps!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

The flyers at my gym have to do their right leg splits then either lean back and grab their left ankle or have someone pull their arms and chest down to their leg. Another thing they do it their splits up a wall while standing on their right leg, then someone grabs their shoulders and pulls their torso up. It looks really painful.. but all of our flyers except for the tiny team (even the girls on the mini team) either have a needle, or are very close!

Like she said above^^
Some tips:
Just tell them to stretch 2 times a day holding each stretch 15-45 second. That's what I did and I got mine in a week..

For back stretches go on a line and push over... And rock when done.

Please be very, very careful pulling for that needle.
I've learned recently that if the correct muscles aren't firing at the correct time, it can place added strain on the back muscles, which can then cause injury. Even stress fracture. I know a lot of athletes can gain abdominal flexibility, but if the back muscles are working harder and sooner than the glute and core muscles in hyper-extended moves, over time it can cause big issues.
Train safely!!

seriously, as much as i'd love to have you all as patients in the future, you only get one spine. be kind to it and take care of it. you can't just go get a "spine replacement" surgery like a hip or shoulder (not that you should need those, either.) and these extreme stretches are causing damage FOR LIFE. like nonstop chiropractic treatments, pain drugs or even spinal fusion surgery are in your future. it's for. life.

just because someone is really good at stretches for flexibility does not mean they are also conscious of spinal and back health and safety. (looking at you coaches holding stretch classes with no regard to the spine.) please be careful. and always, always, always work on both sides evenly.

bumping this cause I'm having problems.. my scorp is pretty good and decently straight so I've been trying to pull further down my leg to get my needle but am in excruciating pain to the point where it's hard to breathe after pulling a scorp :( i don't have a very flexible back so maybe I'm trying for a needle too quickly? I also sometimes feel that I overstretch when I do stretch but not sure how frequently would be best?

bumping this cause I'm having problems.. my scorp is pretty good and decently straight so I've been trying to pull further down my leg to get my needle but am in excruciating pain to the point where it's hard to breathe after pulling a scorp :( i don't have a very flexible back so maybe I'm trying for a needle too quickly? I also sometimes feel that I overstretch when I do stretch but not sure how frequently would be best?
Stop trying to pull further down on your leg do you really want to risk injuring you spine for life just to get your needle! First of all you have to stretch every part of your body before attempting one second since you say your in excruciating pain tell you coach your trying to attempt your needle is this is what is happening she or he will give you really good advice and good stretches to get your needle quickly and SAFELY :)). Hope this helps

I found that if you stand facing a wall, and brace yourself against it and kick your leg up to your head, it is kind of like a kick scorpion drill. I got my scoprion by doing a bridge and trying to walk my hands in as close to my feet as possible.

Back