Flyer's Body Control

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 10, 2011
Is there any drills or ANYTHING that can help improve a flyer's body control? My squad is level 3, so this is their first time going to the extended lib position... They are sturdy, but when they pull their body positions they do not seem to get how to stay tight.. Help please!

SQUEEZE....I was a roller skater and a good thing I was taught in addition to the paint can...it is what I shared with Jenee and Jaiden when they first started...pretend you have a pole that runs through the center of your body..head down through shoulders, hips knees and ankles....be that pole...it is the balance of all sports...it helped my girls...hopefully this will be a little help...:)

think about stay in a "tube" or in a hallow when you grab your foot and then once you have it pull it up to make it more pretty!!

Have the flyer lay on her back on the floor, arms down at her sides. You (or anyone) should be able to pick up her feet (behind the heels) and her whole body should lift off the floor like a plank. She should be able to stay tight so that when you wiggle her, she moves as one (like a plank), if you try to pull her feet apart (side to side, or up and down) you shouldn't be able to move them-she should stay tight enough the whole time that you can't separate her feet/legs. The only part of her touching the floor should be her shoulders. It's not all core strength (obvi it is a main part of it) but a big part is also body awareness and control. A lot of girls don't realize just how hard they have to work to truly stay tight, and this is a good way of showing them.

MissBee said:
Have the flyer lay on her back on the floor, arms down at her sides. You (or anyone) should be able to pick up her feet (behind the heels) and her whole body should lift off the floor like a plank. She should be able to stay tight so that when you wiggle her, she moves as one (like a plank), if you try to pull her feet apart (side to side, or up and down) you shouldn't be able to move them-she should stay tight enough the whole time that you can't separate her feet/legs. The only part of her touching the floor should be her shoulders. It's not all core strength (obvi it is a main part of it) but a big part is also body awareness and control. A lot of girls don't realize just how hard they have to work to truly stay tight, and this is a good way of showing them.

My kids love this drill! Their favorite part is when I stand behind them and grab their shoulders and throw them to a standing position. They all beg to try it too if they see me practice it with a flyer.

We have our top girls stand on soup cans! They must be strong in the core, quads, biceps, and triceps. Of course, condition the rest of the body to or it can cause easy injury. If they are muscular they will be able to squeeze, hold, and control their body weight in the air.

Have you all seen the new stunt stepper they are selling at comp.? If so, are they any good/worth the money or is a paint can (a ton cheaper) just as good. Also, any specific drills for keeping the hip in place. Every once in a while my daughter's hip pops out of place when she switches from the bow n arrow to her scorpian scale. I have her doing 2 minute planks and practicing her positions, but not sure it is making a big difference in her ability to control her hip in these positions.

Back