All-Star For All Who Work With Special Needs Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

quietmom

Cheer Parent
Jul 12, 2012
Please read this if you work with special needs athletes, if you go to school with someone with special needs, if your child goes to school with someone with special needs, if you or your child goes to competitions with special needs athletes, if you go out in public, or if special needs athletes are in your gym.

There is some mild language in this article, but it is nothing major. This will give you some insight into the perspective of those living with special needs as well as their caregivers.

Please Excuse My Son » The Informal Matriarch

Please read this if you work with special needs athletes, if you go to school with someone with special needs, if your child goes to school with someone with special needs, if you or your child goes to competitions with special needs athletes, if you go out in public, or if special needs athletes are in your gym.

There is some mild language in this article, but it is nothing major. This will give you some insight into the perspective of those living with special needs as well as their caregivers.

Please Excuse My Son » The Informal Matriarch
Thank you for this. I have a child with special needs and get those looks when she has a fit in public or has to get away from a large group because she is over stimulated. I will definatly pass this on.....

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Thank you for this. I have a child with special needs and get those looks when she has a fit in public or has to get away from a large group because she is over stimulated. I will definatly pass this on.....

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Where is she cheering this year??

Anyone ever heard of Carly's Café? You can try it to get an idea of what it's like to have autism (use headphones for best results): Carly's Café. It's a pretty cool thing.
Cool website! I read the intro of her book on amazon (it's linked on the site), it seems like a really interesting book.

Where is she cheering this year??
She is actually not on a special needs team. Although it can be dificult sometimes, she is on a regular competitive team. It has done a TON for her socially, and even though she may not be particularly close with any specific kid on her team, she has learned to socialize with children her age who for the most part she gets a long with pretty well. Competitions can be rough (long days/off schedule/to much going on) but we have learned to manage. Cheer has been the best thing for her....better than any therepy or counseler that we have tried in the past!

This was a great story, couldn't watch the video since I am at work.

I just have to say, how amazing special needs cheer coaches and helpers are, it really takes a special person and the kids really appreciate it and a shout out to the parents too as they know that activities are good and put kids in something like cheer for them to enjoy, or any activity!

She is actually not on a special needs team. Although it can be dificult sometimes, she is on a regular competitive team. It has done a TON for her socially, and even though she may not be particularly close with any specific kid on her team, she has learned to socialize with children her age who for the most part she gets a long with pretty well. Competitions can be rough (long days/off schedule/to much going on) but we have learned to manage. Cheer has been the best thing for her....better than any therepy or counseler that we have tried in the past!

That's fantastic. Whatever team best fits the athlete's needs is perfect!

Back