All-Star Full Up Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 15, 2010
Just wanted to get some others insight. We recently added full ups to our stunt sequence, after three practices of doing them 3 groups hit 9 outta 10 times, but the other 2 are very inconsistent. My question is what other tips do some of you have for full ups?? Both flyers keeps putting to much weight in there left leg making it hard for the side base to catch. I know it will probably come w/ time, but it being mid season, & never really working on them before we are kinda short on time ... Maybe hearing some different tips will help them out a little... Any advice?!?

Make sure the bases lock out their arms and absorb with their legs! Also, the side shouldn't look for the foot, sometimes that makes them back out of the stunt. Hope these help a little?

Just wanted to get some others insight. We recently added full ups to our stunt sequence, after three practices of doing them 3 groups hit 9 outta 10 times, but the other 2 are very inconsistent. My question is what other tips do some of you have for full ups?? Both flyers keeps putting to much weight in there left leg making it hard for the side base to catch. I know it will probably come w/ time, but it being mid season, & never really working on them before we are kinda short on time ... Maybe hearing some different tips will help them out a little... Any advice?!?
make sure the backspot pulls up (if its not coed stunting) and get the flyer to squeeze and pull up if not then you may need a new flyer for the stunt

Thanks! That's basically everything we have been telling them too! Hoping it will come with some time. On the plus side 3 of the 5 are really consistent which is majority + 1 but of course we would much rather have all 5 groups doing the skill!!!

You could try a collegiate style full up that starts on one leg instead of a sponge. This way there is never weight on the left foot to begin with and flyers have an easier time remembering to keep weight out of that leg.

when I fly in full ups waiting till the top to twist usually makes it alot eaiser and as a main base waiting to twist the flyer till she gets past the eyes/face helps and also when flying I try not to think that anybody is there to catch my other foot so it helps me keep the weight from all going left

You could try a collegiate style full up that starts on one leg instead of a sponge. This way there is never weight on the left foot to begin with and flyers have an easier time remembering to keep weight out of that leg.
yeah at CEA we start fullups with the grip on the ground not in a squish soo there is no weight at all =]

AaronHilton said:
yeah at CEA we start fullups with the grip on the ground not in a squish soo there is no weight at all =]

We tried that a couple times .. Where does the side base start? Do they throw from the left leg? And where does the back spot throw?

Thanks!

We tried that a couple times .. Where does the side base start? Do they throw from the left leg? And where does the back spot throw?

Thanks!
The way we do it, side base starts under the right foot and just throws from underneath. Backspot starts like a regular lib grip and tosses from the butt. Let me try to find a video.

the biggest problem i have when doing full ups with my flyer is her dropping a shoulder because shes thinking it helps her twist.... but this will cause the flyer to go over your head..... the flyer has to realize she is just going along for the ride....and the bases do all the work !!!! your flyer needs to just stay in one body line and pull both shoulders up .....keeping shoulders hips and toes in one line will help ....

also the base that is actually twisting the foot needs to be sure to use proper technique .... keep the elbow into the body while twisting it and make sure to only start the full up once the foot is at face level......if u start the spin too soon it will cause it to get stuck....... for the way i do it we dont have a back spot ...theres one person twisting the foot and then theres the main base.... im the main base in the situation.... i simply throw and catch... but you gotta have fast hands!!! no grandma hands....... my trick to catching the foot is i keep my eye on the foot that is twisting the whole time .... so that would be the right foot .... just stay focused on that and it should help you as a base get ur hands up to that foot quickly .....

as a back spot..... i tried to catch the ankles right away while the "full up" is at the 1/4 twist point so i can keep the ankles together and put the feet in the place they need to be for the other base to catch ...... Also as a back spot u kind of have to expect the flyer to put weight on that left foot so make sure you are also pulling up on the ankles to take the weight off that left foot ......

if you are going to an immediate body position ( full up to lib or stretch) the flyer need to start pulling that position at the 3/4 point so that once the full up is complete the desired body position is being hit ..... ...flyer needs to concentrate on squeezing her own ankles at this point ..... bases do the same thing as above ...except now we dont bother to catch the left foot just go straight for the right foot...

i hope this helps this is what i know from actuall cheer experience and how i teach as a coach ...

The way we do it, side base starts under the right foot and just throws from underneath. Backspot starts like a regular lib grip and tosses from the butt. Let me try to find a video.

What is the exact grip for the side base who throws the foot, do they release the foot?

Back