Fulls!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 28, 2012
  • hi! i was just wondering how long it took for you to get a full, and maybe any tips that you think would have helped you when you were learning a full? (I'm having a little trouble with it):rolleyes:

It took cp a year of working on it in privates and tumble class before she threw it by herself landing on a crash mat, and another 5-6 months until she truly had it consistently on the spring floor. She was in no rush though and never felt pressured to throw it until she felt she was 100% ready, even though her coach felt she was ready at least a month before she finally took the plunge and tried it. One of the things she says she wishes she had tried sooner was opening her eyes while tumbling so she could see the ground!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I was spotted on my full for a year before my coach told me he wasn't going to spot me anymore. I didn't miss a single full the first month I had it, and then I started working doubles and got confused on where I needed to open up for my full.

I suggest getting a spot on them in you have a coach available that knows how to spot fulls.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

CP1 took around three months.
CP2 about a year.
CP3 is just learning to twist now.

Both had very solid layouts on the floor before attempting to full. It really depends on the child; my one CP loves to twist and it came very quickly, where CP2 needed more time to adjust to rotating his body and to become comfortable throwing it without a spot.

From Skills: Full | For the "Love" of TumblingFor the "Love" of Tumbling
"This skill must be preceded by a near perfect layout. To do a full the athlete must first know how to twist. All that is required to twist is to turn your head and keep the body tight and stretched so every power center is engaged. The body must turn as one unit with opposite hamstring and shoulder together leading the twist. The middle of your body is completely engaged- bellybutton pulled in and up. As you turn your head look to the back wall and then spot the floor for the landing. The arms can pull either straight across the body or use the wrist grab technique. Pull the twist side arm straight down with elbow bent. Then the other arm pulls down at a right angle to the twist arm. The pull for the full occurs close to the point where the athletes body is upside down. This insures that the layout has been accomplished first, then they can twist. If you twist early you have to pike down to get your body over. This endangers your body for injuries. All lateral flipping should be initiated before twisting."

YES. Keep your eyes open. You wouldn't drive with closed eyes, don't tumble that way!
Lol it was a true revelation for her. It sudenly wasn't so scary when she could see when it was time to land. Seems so obvious, but to her, it was a real break through in feeling she was ready to do it by herself.

Took my CP about 6-7 months from when she first started to twist to throwing it alone on a spring floor.

It took me three months:)
My coach did not know how to spot a full that twists right, so I taught myself on the trampoline.

• hi! i was just wondering how long it took for you to get a full, and maybe any tips that you think would have helped you when you were learning a full? (I'm having a little trouble with it):rolleyes:
I got spotted for about 2 weeks then I decided to throw a half on the floor no spot and after that i decide to go for the full with no pressure and I landed it. I focused on r/o handspring fulls and perfecting them (height, straightening legs, opening my eyes). then i had solid full by the next week.

Back