Getting Over Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
Ever since I started cheer three years ago, I have mental blocked on tumbling. Granted, I was 13 when I started, so I was older than most people when they start cheering. This past may, I finally got my standing and roundoff back handspring. By the summer, I had jumps to handspring, standing and running multiples, and I was working running and standing tuck. Somewhere along the way, I mental blocked again to the point where the only tumbling I would throw is a standing handspring and jumps to handspring. I wouldn't throw standing multiples or a roundoff handspring with a spot even. This continued into this month. I'm glad to say I've started throwing my tumbling again with spots. I have a private tomorrow, and I'd love to hear some words of encouragement/ stories of you/your cp getting over their mental block!
Thank you! :)

You have to just believe in yourself. You’re body knows what it is supposed to do when you’re tumbling, you need to trust it. you have to think. how many times have you done this skill & landed it? how many times have you fallen & been okay? i know mental blocks are hard & i know that they are tough to get over but you have to learn to believe in yourself & trust yourself again.

i had a serious mental block about throwing my handspring by myself but what really helped me get over it was thinking about how badly i wanted it and how badly i wanted to learn new skills. i seriously wanted to get over my mental block more than anything and everytime i got nervous i would imagine myself throwing the most perfect handspring and reminding myself how good it felt to do it on my own and to work on new skills and it really helped me. if you can believe it you can achieve it :)

This is a GREAT article. I have a junior now and as a freshmen she threw a very nice full. On occassion she would ask me if she could just do a layout and I was able to read her and say yes that is fine. Well, I am the assistant coach and that same year, I missed a competition due to a family wedding, another assistant had the same philosphy as me and said layout is fine. Well, the head coach is older and I don't think understands mental blocks, and really "pushed" her to the full in warm-up. She tweaked her knee (no major injury, but it was a strain). Since then, she has only done roundoff backhandsprings, standing backhandsprings, punch fronts, and standing tucks. She will go to tumbling and as long as someone stands there she will tuck and on occassion layout, but otherwise will not. To this day, the head coach just thinks she is a pain and doesn't realize what this mental block is.

I will be sending her this article and her father who understands the block. I want her to know she is not the only one and I truly understand how difficult it is. Thanks!

honestly ...your body has been trained on what to do .... so u have to literally clear your mind and not think about anything as your doing it...... your body will do what u trained it to .....the muscles know their job u just have to trust it.... when u start thinking about it and bail out of a skill is when inuries occur because you r now fighting against your body/muscles......

DON'T OVER THINK IT! I have a block on running tumbling right now too (too much power freaked me out) but you just need to relax! think to yourself how long you've had those skills before and how many times you've thrown them before! and confidence. I still have my block but this helps me with throwing skills with spots!

Back