Getting Over The Fear?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 15, 2011
Hey:) so I'm usually a base and haven't flown past a prep before but now I'm the smallest on my team and I'm really flexible and my coach wants me to fly in a group stunt and a partner stunt. I couldn't be happier because I've always wanted to be a flyer but I get so scared and start shaking and don't let myself try properly. I don't want to loose the oppurtunity, I really want to fly, does anyone have any tips or anything that can help me loose the fear?

Progression, take it slow. If your comfortable with prep-level things start working that.

Practice on the ground and get confident before you go to the group.

Stunt Level Skill Progession example:
2 Leg| Dismount: Sponge/Squish/Smoosh
2 Leg | Dismount: Cradle.
1 Leg Liberty | Dismount: Sponge/Cradle
1 Leg Arabesque, Stretch, Bow, Scorpion, Scale. (Try one, then hit 2, etc) | Dismount: Sponge / Cradle
Specialty Load-In (180 to Sponge/Squish/Smoosh ) (180 to 2 Leg )
360 to Sponge/Squish/Smoosh (360 to 2 Leg) (360 to 1 Leg)
Twist cradle from 2 leg
Twist cradle from 1 Leg
Double from 2 Leg
Double from 1 Leg
**Feel Free to Add More variety if your still uncomfortable.

Try to move it to extended level with same skills as before.

I definitely agree with what the first person said. Idk where it's at but I had started a thread on here back in like May or June probably about my 6yr old being scared to fly. Now granted obviously your not 6 but y'all had the same fear. Alot of people gave really nice suggestions!!:) some might help you!!

She was like you in that she wanted to be a flyer but it was to overwhelming at first for her. She cried so much the first practice she wouldn't even go in to a squish. She is on a level 2 team so they don't do the most difficult stunts so I started off with her by going on YouTube and showing videos of prep level stunts. Just using both legs standing there... So that looked easy enough and it was her goal next practice to do that and not cry. So she did.:. Then they moved on to extensions, the next practice she made that her goal. She would get in the car and be like oh I did a prep and an extension and it was so easy. Then we looked at cradles and I just shown her how simple that was and next practice she did it. Slowly but surely within about 2 weeks she had all the basics that she would do and she wasn't scared.

Not only that but the coaches knew her situation and didn't just take her out after the first practice. So it does take a little patience on there part. Now my cp has been dropped several times and still isn't one bit nervous at all. She will do one leg stunts no problems. She even does tick- tocks those are her favorite. (her heel stretch ones are ugly but does the ones in a lib pretty good) The barrel roll took some getting use to, she just couldn't get all the way around but she has that now too.

Actually one of her teams added a 3rd practice each week for the time being so we are there several times a week when our sr4 girls are. They love her and she watches them stunt and she thinks she can do it all. One of the girls weren't hitting their full ups to an extension yesterday and my cp went and asked them if she could do it. Yeah it wasn't great but she hit them all the times she tried which was like 4times now I know they can practically keep her in the air no matter what because she is so light but I was surprised she did it. I honestly doubt her all the time and she surprises me everyday. The only thing she is scared to do it like a full down or anything twisting downward lol but that all comes with time and it's not level 2 so I'm not concerned with it.

My point is if you keep working at it you can do it. It helped her setting goals the first few practices and I noticed a huge improvement quickly!

Back