Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L

Lisa Welsh

Read Full Article...

BY Lisa D. Welsh

www.CHEERMaD.com

Kiera Hundley, 13

Christiana Hundley is a cheer mom whose daughter Keira,13, of FAME Allstars in Virginia, was on her way to achieving her long-held dream of competing at Worlds.

But the celebration was short-lived.

Two weeks after receiving the Partial-Paid Bid, Christiana lost her job and the ability to pay for the travel and accommodations it would cost to attend the most prestigious event in All Star cheer.

“We had been so excited, she had worked so hard and then the reality of ‘How am I going to pay for this?’ set it,” Christiana said.

Elijah and Kiera of FAME Allstars

Both Christiana’s children are Allstars: Keira, 13, of FAME Allstars’ Vengeance; and Elija, 9, on FAME’s Youth 2 team Hollywood.

“I didn’t know how I was going to pay for tuition, never mind travel to Worlds,”she said.

Let’s face it. Allstar Cheer doesn’t come cheap. Tuition alone can top $2,000 and if you belong to an Elite gym that travels to several Nationals a season the cost easily reaches $7,500. Uniforms, tumble clinics and private sessions are in addition to that and many cheer parents take on a part-time job just to finance it.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Christiana said. “My kids love it. It’s our life.”

“So,” she continued, “You do what you gotta do.”

Christiana found herself embracing the attitude that she had taught her children many times throughout their cheer years: “Keep Trying,” “Don’t Stop,” “Make It Work,” “Don’t Give Up,” and “If you want it badly enough you will find a way.”

“Cheering absolutely means the world to my child and my child means the world to me,” she said.

In addition to the fundraising opportunities at her gym, Christiana reached out to the cheer community and has been touched by the response.

“I have met some amazing people through cheer,” she said. “At my gym, at comps, on Fierce Board (her moniker is MommaRazzi) and I’m overwhelmed by the outreach we have received.”

Christiana Hundley

Last night Christiana learned that a “Mystery Worlds Donation” had arrived anonymously at the gym worth enough money to pay for airfare.

A month ago another cheer mom from the other side of the country (CALI Allstars) heard about the predicament and able to secured a “Stunt Stand” that is being raffled off on March 25. The $5 raffle ticket is well-worth it as the Stunt Stand retails for $399.

“It’s so amazing to know that people out there understand and want her to be able to go as much as I do,” she said. “I’m not necessarily one to have faith in people but this is a very nice slap in the face to find people who show ‘We do care.’”

Raffle for Razzi 2013

To enter the raffle for The Cheerleading Stunt Stand, voted “Best New Product of the Year” by the Association of Spirit Industry Professionals.

$5 tickets may be purchased by clicking here: PayPal:

Please direct any questions you may have to [email protected]

Back