OT Gymnastics Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 14, 2009
Figured a spin-off thread would be preferable, considering it IS an Olympic year and I know how many of us are gymnastics fans.

SO- US Secret Classic was today. Thoughts?
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed with the routines overall. I'm also amazed at the depth of talent that the American women have this year. There are SO many choices, and lots of girls will be disappointed this year because the team has to fit just so, and where you might have gotten in last round you won't with this group. Interested to see if Shawn/ASac/Bridget Sloan will show at Visa's, considering it's the last big nationals before Trials and they haven't said yes/no as to whether or not they're still in it. Also this year the team will be announced AFTER Trials instead of a selection camp. Hopefully it will keep the girls stronger this go around..

I'm so annoyed with the 5 limit, I miss the magnificent 7. My roommate/former gymnast friend and I were talking about it last night and we can do 4 easily, but that silly 5th spot stresses us out. (Clearly, we think we're Marta and part of the selection committee haha).

I posted this in the random thread, but at the moment, my 4 are Jordyn, Aly, Gabby, and Maroney. Bross (especially for bars), Nastia, Kyla, and as Kristen said the Shawn/ASac/Bridget combo all have potential to be that 5th member IMO. Although I think the latter 3 have less of a chance, especially Bridget. Chellsie is definitely out, which is sad, but makes sense. She's just been so unlucky.

And Kristen, I agree with being disappointed in routines, particularly beam. Nastia was one of the most solid, and she's been out for 3 years. Jordyn's coach did say he wasn't expecting her to be solid, and he doesn't want her to be because that means she'd have peaked now. I get that, I'm just hoping there are fewer falls and only minor balance checks. Aly looked super confident but the others just seemed to be lacking that. Hoping they'll get it together for Nationals, and there are no injuries in the meantime.

i wish gabby douglas would get the confidence she needs. She's so good, but she doubts herself on almost every event except for bars. She's flawless on bars, height for days. It just frustrates me how she comes off of bars with such a high score and then goes to beam like she just wiped out on her last event. her physical game > mental game. hoping she can get it together :confused: ok. rant over.

arilt95 YES. 1000x yes. I could watch her on bars for days. Beam on the other hand... She doesn't have loadssss of experience like some others, but she has enough, or should. Someone get her a sports psychologist so she can nail that beam routine, because she definitely has the skills. I love her floor routine too, but I think she wasn't as into it yesterday as she has been in the past.

arilt95 YES. 1000x yes. I could watch her on bars for days. Beam on the other hand... She doesn't have loadssss of experience like some others, but she has enough, or should. Someone get her a sports psychologist so she can nail that beam routine, because she definitely has the skills. I love her floor routine too, but I think she wasn't as into it yesterday as she has been in the past.
seriously, gets to me every time. you saw at the American cup where she would have won the event, but she didn't even compete...like where did that go? idk if she's worried she's not going to make the olympic team but she def can if she nails beam.

I am currently trying to find as many US Secret Classic videos on Youtube as I'm in Canada and that's the only way I can watch them, so I'll have a better opinion later, but seriously... I'm not a fan of any of the current front runners for this team, with the exception of MAYBE Jordyn. Aly Raisman... Idk I've never liked her, just something about her bugs me. Gabby to me looks very... Junior gymnast. She doesn't look like a senior to me. Maroney's amazing on vault obviously, but everywhere else is just kinda... eh. I HATE Bross' gymnastics. She's the most boring gymnast I've ever seen in my life and I'd pay NOT to see her go to the Olympics, no matter how much she deserves it.
I guess I just miss Alicia, Shawn, and Nastia in their peak. I want their 08 selves back!

Oh and another small point about Nastia, since she's my favourite gymnast. What was with her hair...............

I am currently trying to find as many US Secret Classic videos on Youtube as I'm in Canada and that's the only way I can watch them, so I'll have a better opinion later, but seriously... I'm not a fan of any of the current front runners for this team, with the exception of MAYBE Jordyn. Aly Raisman... Idk I've never liked her, just something about her bugs me. Gabby to me looks very... Junior gymnast. She doesn't look like a senior to me. Maroney's amazing on vault obviously, but everywhere else is just kinda... eh. I HATE Bross' gymnastics. She's the most boring gymnast I've ever seen in my life and I'd pay NOT to see her go to the Olympics, no matter how much she deserves it.
I guess I just miss Alicia, Shawn, and Nastia in their peak. I want their 08 selves back!
maybe this will work
:: USA Gymnastics :: 2012 Secret U.S. Classic ::

Jordyn and Aly just don't scream 'World/Olympic Champion' to me. I don't care that Jordyn won Worlds, there's just something missing from her that the other older ladies have. I'd like to see some Olympic veterans on the team (and I think you have to, with the way things are looking. If these girls can't get their confidence back, that team is gonna need some strength), as ASac, Nastia, and Shawn in their prime were AMAZING.

Jordyn and Aly just don't scream 'World/Olympic Champion' to me. I don't care that Jordyn won Worlds, there's just something missing from her that the other older ladies have. I'd like to see some Olympic veterans on the team (and I think you have to, with the way things are looking. If these girls can't get their confidence back, that team is gonna need some strength), as ASac, Nastia, and Shawn in their prime were AMAZING.

Seriously, Nastia looked a LOT better than I thought she would, and it was her first time out. Her leaps weren't quite as beautiful, but Nastia is one to put it on when it needs to happen. Alicia can put up vault/floor/beam routines and scores that are just like.... Everything. Shawn, if she gets back in shape, would be great to see win all around.
I have a feeling that girl who came 2nd to Jordyn will be a HUGE contender for the all-around. She looks like an Olympic all-around champion to me. Jordyn looks like.... 2nd place... She looks like Shawn in 08 to me. She's got the whole package, it seems, but just missing SOMETHING.

Back