Had It, Then Lost It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2014
Hi everyone! So I'm a relatively new cheerleader and I've been working on my round off back handspring for the past month to make it to my schools varsity cheerleading team. I was progressing well for the first three weeks, and in my lash private, I was SO close to getting my round off back handspring completely but when I went back today I couldn't even do my back handspring right. Tryouts were Wednesday and I wasn't able to go because I had an appointment. I was pretty confident from my last private so I just suggested that I send in a video of my cheer, dance, jumps and tumbling and then I would find out whether I made varsity. Unfortunately I didn't have my back handspring today. My coach says that it's very common, he even had a girl who came in today who was in the same situation except that she threw it yesterday and couldn't throw today. Last week I told her I would send in my video today but I'm not sure if I can or if I should. Is there anything I can do to get it at home or should I just tell her that I can send it next week? I only fear that that will make me look extremely unreliable and she will put me as an alternate. Both coaches were on oo5 so they have really high expectations and a lot of girls on varsity got put as alternates for this season. What should I do?

You should send an honest video in of the skills you can perform reliably. Getting one ROBHS on video to send in might get you a temporary spot on varsity, but when you cannot throw it on demand to counts at practice they are going to be upset that you claimed to have it and you will likely loose the spot anyway because they will feel like you deceived them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't even realize there were HS Coaches that let students miss tryouts and tryout by video instead. My daughter's HS is strict. If you miss any part of tryouts from mandatory meetings, to practices, to actual tryout they won't consider you for team.
We had an instance of a girl in a military family who was moving to the area in August (tryouts were in April), so she was allowed to submit a video so she could just jump right in to practices when she arrived. But I think that's a reasonable exception, there's no way it would have been allowed if you were in the area during tryouts.

I didn't even realize there were HS Coaches that let students miss tryouts and tryout by video instead. My daughter's HS is strict. If you miss any part of tryouts from mandatory meetings, to practices, to actual tryout they won't consider you for team.

Our HS has a large percentage of student athletes. When we were visiting schools with my son who plays football one of the coaches told us that our HS has 84% of students participating in school athletics. We knew it was a high number but not that high. When it is time for cheer tryouts there are always athletes that are still competing with other school teams (softball, track and field) that aren't able to do the clinic and tryout because of the commitment to their other team. It isn't unusual for those athletes to do a video tryout. They are taught the material in the evenings when they can learn it and then they actually tryout on video with another athlete at the school while the coaches video. Then their video is scored by the judges at the time of tryouts. Our Athletic Director and all our HS Coaches work well together to ensure the students have the opportunity to participate fully in whichever sport they choose.

ETA: We won the 3A State Championship in Baseball last night in the 12th inning!!

Honestly, you don't have your round off BHS; you are still working on it. Which is great and something to be proud of, but you should not make it seem like you do have it for the varsity coaches. It will become pretty obvious quickly when you are unable to throw it consistently in practice. I would make the video based on everything you do solidly have, and absolutely submit it because you have already talked to them about it. The reality is if they are looking for full team tumbling, you might not make the team this season unless your other skills will fill in things they need. Cp's school would not allow a video submission; they would expect you to be present unless you were medically excused at the time of tryouts (for which they might allow you to tryout once you have returned unless the team was full).

Back