All-Star Half Year Worlds Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MomOf2ThatsMe

Cheer Parent
Feb 18, 2011
I was wondering if anybody could please explain to me why some gyms will start a Worlds division team halfway through the season. I am *NOT* bashing any particular gym in any way, shape, or form. I completely understand that some states/schood districts forbid their students from participating in club & school sports at the same time. I am just curious as to why (and really how) these teams are formed. Are they comprised of athletes that were on teams that aren't looking like they are going to get a bid, or did the non level 5 athletes progress quicker than expected and now they can field another team? Does the gym earn bids for certain divisions, then replace some of them with others from their gym and then form another Worlds team?

I know last year Weather Girls (from Maryland twisters) was comprised of velocity (SO5) and supercells (J5) girls. I believe this year they said they would be opening tryouts to the public? not positive on that. blunchin can probably give you a better answer.

I was wondering if anybody could please explain to me why some gyms will start a Worlds division team halfway through the season. I am *NOT* bashing any particular gym in any way, shape, or form. I completely understand that some states/schood districts forbid their students from participating in club & school sports at the same time. I am just curious as to why (and really how) these teams are formed. Are they comprised of athletes that were on teams that aren't looking like they are going to get a bid, or did the non level 5 athletes progress quicker than expected and now they can field another team? Does the gym earn bids for certain divisions, then replace some of them with others from their gym and then form another Worlds team?
I know last years Weather Girls was made up of some Cells (Jr5 girls), some Velocity (SO5 girls) and some super seniors who couldn't make full year commitments. I imagine this year will have a similar make-up (should be coming together soon). It made sense to do it as a half year since most of these girl were already on full year non-worlds teams (level 5) and the few that weren't could just more easily manage the half year commitment. Weather Girls started practicing in December last year, first competition was in March (BATC) did a few other comps in the Baltimore area and then were off to Worlds. Worked out well and the girls seem to have a great time with it!

I think it's likely the school issue that you mentioned. It's possible to get a competitive team for a small division, especially if it consists mostly of athletes that return year after year for a half year team.

There might be other special situations.

I have no experience with this but I would think that this would be a good way for gyms to get their kids into a Worlds team without the pressure.
With Twisters, for example, they could pull kids who would probably be on a Worlds team this season and put them into that environment without the pressure that teams like F5 had. That way, the athletes got the fun side of the Worlds experience without sooo much pressure to be that World Champion team. I doubt there was a huge deal made about winning worlds with Weather Girls so they just went and did the best they could but also learned a whole lot!

I think what happened with Weathergirls last year is great for a gym. To take the junior 5 athletes that are old enough for senior teams and then your restricted 5 athletes and make a team that places well at worlds is great. I also wonder if gyms have ever thought of doing what Stingrays Amber did last season and take their restricted 5 team and go for a bid a time or two. Since there are more restrictions on the division this year it may be more difficult for this to happen, but there are many Restricted 5 teams out there that are better then teams in the regular senior 5 divisions.

I believe the plan for Brandon Sr white this year is to go for a worlds bid at UCA after being restricted 5 all year (just like spice did)

I cannot speak for my CP's gym, but in Illinois high school cheerleaders cannot cheer All Star during their high school "competitive" season. Once State is over first weekend of Feb, many cheer at Allstar teams to include Worlds teams.

When I cheered at basics. The senior 5 team could not start competing because of high school cheer. In wv you can't do both so we started in January and competed in feb. in 2007 basics got bronze. And pretty much always received a paid bid.

It is usually not like they are not in the gym, just not on a World's team. Even the athletes who live in states that they can not cheer for both High School and All Stars, usually still tumble and stunt in an All Star gym, or gymnastic gym. From a financial perspective it could be a wonderful thing. Less travel and you get a shot or two at a bid and if you don't get it you just don't get it. It is not like it is the end of the world. It also allows athletes that didn't make a gym's World's team(s) for whatever reason another chance to make a team. Coaches can start to look at different athletes that may have joined the gym late, or progressed faster than they thought and how they perform under that type of pressure to see if they could make of the gyms full year World's teams next year should the athlete remain at the gym. It also can be used to break the ice so to speak of actually at competing at Worlds, and not having the pressure to win your division - just to compete to have a good time and have fun. :jawdrop: I can see a lot of good uses for it.

Latest posts

Back