All-Star Heel Pain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
CP, came home from Tumbling 1.5 weeks ago saying her heel really hurt. she said she didn't land funny or anything, that it was a small pain and just got worse and worse as she tumbled. She did the typical drama, limping thing and I did the typical blow her off thing as she clamored for my attention in an attempt to gauge how bad it really was...LOL

Within minutes she had stopped limping, but the next morning she said it still hurt (just the very bottom of her one heel). we put ice on it to see if that would help and i gave her some advil and she made it through the day. after cheer two days later she complained again and she complains a bit every morning. it seems to get better, then she has practice/tumbling and then it's worse. but then slowly gets better again. to me, it seems bruised and just needs time to heal, and nothing i've googled seems like it would apply to her pain level or area of pain.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yes!...This sounds like a classic case of Plantar's Fasciitis. She may have heel spurs. It comes from repetitive use. I have it and I've gotten those exact same symptoms. It hurts a lot when you wake up in the morning and try to walk. Then a while later, the pain subsides but as soon as you begin to use the foot and put stress on the heel, the problem gets aggravated again then eventually, he symptoms subside with rest but the condition is always there.

I've gotten cortisone shots because I was playing softball. They helped some but what calmed my foot down was rest. I founde that wearing my baseball spikes was aggravating the problem

I would take her to a foot doctor and have him check it to confirm that is what it is. It could be a simple thing like rest and getting a good pair of arches or foot support for her shoes to take pressure off the heel.

Plantars Faciitis is very painful so it's unlikely she can fully work thru the pain. Definitely get it checked because trying to perform with heel spurs is extremely difficult.

Do a search online on plantars faciitis and heel spurs. There's quite a bit of information out there about it.....Good luck!

sorry, she's 8, on a level 3 team practice and she's working mostly right now whip through to full at tumbling class.

I had something like this when I was younger. It ended up being some disease where your calf muscle pulls away from the heel bone from growing a lot in a short period of time. Advil and heel shoes inserts helped out a lot.

LOVEtoTUMBLE said:
I had something like this when I was younger. It ended up being some disease where your calf muscle pulls away from the heel bone from growing a lot in a short period of time. Advil and heel shoes inserts helped out a lot.

Severs disease

tucknduck said:
I did a search on "heel pain in chidren" and Sever's Disease comes up. That has to do with the calf muscles pulling. It would seem something like this would be more common with younger people, but in any case, getting to a podiatrist to properly diagnose what it is is the way to go.

http://www.epodiatry.com/heel-pain-children.htm

Sorry I didn't see this!

I did a search on "heel pain in chidren" and Sever's Disease comes up. That has to do with the calf muscles pulling. It would seem something like this would be more common with younger people, but in any case, getting to a podiatrist to properly diagnose what it is is the way to go.

http://www.epodiatry.com/heel-pain-children.htm

My CP went through this for years. rspecially in the summer time when it seems she went through her growth spurts. Reduce use and freeze water in a dixie cup. Massage on the heel. It helps. Gel inserts was the other thing she was told to do but she never did. The pain will come and go but they do grow out of it.

To be safe, go to a dr and get it properly diagnosed.
I have plantar fasciitis, not freaking fun, have had cortisone shots, surgery on both feet, and wear orthotics and it's still there. But I can't think of why a tumbler, especially a young tumbler, would get it. Runners and (ahem) larger individuals are highly proned, but not an 8-year-old tumbler.
Please take the child to the dr.

In the past, I heard that the Tuli's heel cups helped with cheerleader heel pain. However, I would wait and get the information from a professional to find out which issue you are dealing with...I (personally) have suffered from plantar fasaciitis, caused by working out with improper shoes for my foot/pronation. For me, doing some research and simply changing shoes worked like magic :)

CP, came home from Tumbling 1.5 weeks ago saying her heel really hurt. she said she didn't land funny or anything, that it was a small pain and just got worse and worse as she tumbled. She did the typical drama, limping thing and I did the typical blow her off thing as she clamored for my attention in an attempt to gauge how bad it really was...LOL

Within minutes she had stopped limping, but the next morning she said it still hurt (just the very bottom of her one heel). we put ice on it to see if that would help and i gave her some advil and she made it through the day. after cheer two days later she complained again and she complains a bit every morning. it seems to get better, then she has practice/tumbling and then it's worse. but then slowly gets better again. to me, it seems bruised and just needs time to heal, and nothing i've googled seems like it would apply to her pain level or area of pain.

Anyone have any ideas?
I would take her in to get it checked. My cp complained of heel pain years ago, and it was a 'suck it up' thing for a while, but finally took her in and there was a small fracture. you just never know. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but it would be best to know for sure. good luck!

To be safe, go to a dr and get it properly diagnosed.
I have plantar fasciitis, not freaking fun, have had cortisone shots, surgery on both feet, and wear orthotics and it's still there. But I can't think of why a tumbler, especially a young tumbler, would get it. Runners and (ahem) larger individuals are highly proned, but not an 8-year-old tumbler.
Please take the child to the dr.
I'm not a dr. but I get asked for a diagnosis all the time. One mom brought her kid to gym with a black and blue foot and asked me what I thought. I told her I thought the ER was probably open.

Back