OT Help Needed For My College Project.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 28, 2011
Hey I'm Tamzin, I'm in my second year at college (equivalant to a senior in high school). I have an extended project to complete which I can put on my university application to study medicine. I have chosen to do my project on cheer and the injuries people get from participating/ how to prevent these injuries. I would be greatful if you could answer these following questions which would be used in my final essay to be handed in, many thanks.

1) How long have you been cheerleading for?

2) Are you a high school/allstar/collegiate cheerleader? Your team's level?/Your cheer level?

3) Your age?

4) Where did your injury occur? (e.g outside - at a sports game, in the gym at practise, competion etc.)

5) What type of floor/space do you practise in?

6) What injuries have you had since starting cheerleading?

7) How long for each injury did it take for you to recover?

8) Are there any long lasting injuries/ problems relating to the injuries you have had?

9) What do you do to prevent these injuries?

10) When you had an injury was there anything specific you had to do in order to help your recovery?

5 years
2) Are you a high school/allstar/collegiate cheerleader? Your team's level?/Your cheer level?
Allstar but I only got injured while i was on my high school team for 1 season. I'm on level 4 & 5 teams
3) Your age?
15 (16 in 13 days)
4) Where did your injury occur? (e.g outside - at a sports game, in the gym at practise, competion etc.)
At my high school team's practice while stunting
Allstar so spring floor but flat mat when the injury happened
Stress fracture in my back
Several months
8) Are there any long lasting injuries/ problems relating to the injuries you have had?
My back isn't 100% again so sometimes back pain but nothing bad it's more like soreness
Stretch & condition
10) When you had an injury was there anything specific you had to do in order to help your recovery?
Physical therapy

5 years
all star level 4.2
3) Your age?
at cheer camp
spring floor usually but I was on a flat mat during the injury
sprained wrist and torn muscles in my back
a couple of weeks
nope
stretch before and after and wrap my wrists
stretching exercises from my physical therapist

5 years
Allstar- Senior Coed Restricted 5, and High School- Varsity
3) Your age?
15 (16 on OCT. 13)
at the gym in a private
rod floor (75 strip)
Knee problems (shin splints, ACL, Meniscus, impingement, and just knee pain in general) jammed fingers, back pain (rare and mild) , and shoulder pain (idk if i was born with it or not but cheer doesn't help)
knees:
-shin splints- just born with it so never recovered
-acl- still in recovery (estimated 4 months,, surgery june 15 and estimated release date is Oct 12)
-meniscus- same surgery and recover time with ACL (did at same time)
-impigement- " " "
jammed fingers- a week maybe 2 and then gone
back pain- it's on and off just when something rare and crazy happens (i.e. flyers falling on my back, jank tumbling, etc.)
shoulder pain- born with it??? it doesn't necessarily hurt it's more of an uncomfort and it just gets sore after cheering a long period of time
shoulders , and maybe knees???
don't rush tumbling/a skill, don't do anything stupid, always have a spot when unsure, etc.
braces, and TONS of phys. therapy

1) How long have you been cheerleading for? about 41/2 years

2) Are you a high school/allstar/collegiate cheerleader? Your team's level?/Your cheer level? high school and allstar level 4

3) Your age? 15

4) Where did your injury occur? (e.g outside - at a sports game, in the gym at practise, competion etc.) practice

5) What type of floor/space do you practise in? spring floor for allstar mats for hs

6) What injuries have you had since starting cheerleading? back problems

7) How long for each injury did it take for you to recover? depends ( it comes back)

8) Are there any long lasting injuries/ problems relating to the injuries you have had?no

9) What do you do to prevent these injuries? rest when it starts to hurt

10) When you had an injury was there anything specific you had to do in order to help your recovery? physical thearapt

1) How long have you been cheerleading for? I cheered for 9 years.

2) Are you a high school/allstar/collegiate cheerleader? Your team's level?/Your cheer level? Finished my career on an allstar level 5

3) Your age? 20 (was done at 19)

practice

wear house all star gym, spring floor.

2 ACL tears, cracked ribs, 3rd degree ankle sprain, concussions, a torn meniscus, 2 neck "sprains"

ACL 1 took 4 months. ACL/Mensicus 2 took 5 months. cracked ribs took 6 weeks. concussion took 3 weeks, ankle sprain I never let heal I just dealt with it. Neck sprains 3 weeks each.

I still have problems with my knee, but it's managable.

Condition a lot, not always to build up strength but for stablization

lots of PT, conditioning, ice, heat. wear braces. surgery for the knees.

Back