High School Help!! Nervous daughter!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 30, 2022
So my daughter is turning 14 in September she is 5'5" and weights 103 lbs. She has been in Cheer for 4 years and gymnastics since she was 4. She has always wanted to be a flyer for her own team not just her sisters and cousins. But due to her always being on the taller side and her team usually having several petite girls she was never made a flyer. But this year her team has 1 girl under 5'4" (all of them are taller then the coaches!) So the coaches decided they would test all the girls who were interested. When I was talking to my daughter (Isabella) about it she said she wasn't gonna tryout for a flyer because she knows she wouldn't get picked. She had a rough year with bullys this year who would do anything to bring her down from picking on her birth mark that was a small mole on her chin to calling her fat and saying she needs to loose weight (she is all muscle) How can I help build up her confidence again and convince her to tryout for 1 of the flyer positions? I know she can do it and she wants to but lacks the confidence she once had.

I tell my kids things like you will never know if you don’t try. If you try and it doesn’t workout, be proud of yourself for trying. My biggest regrets in life are when I let fear hold me back from trying. With that said flying is not the be all/end all. It’s a team sport, all positions are important and matter.

Not all flyers are fetus flyers. Having strength and stability is more important, in my experience, than being short and skinny. Kenley Pope and Ryan Cummings are tall flyers who do great. If you look at UCA college teams, especially the All-Girl ones, they're all adult women of similar size who somehow manage to do advanced stunts.

Tell your daughter that she should TRY. She's wants to fly, now is the chance. If she actually does like basing or backing better, though, don't force her to fly.

Back