Help With Early Twisting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 30, 2016
So I have my full, but I always twist right off the ground. Its become such a bad habit I don't know if I'll ever be able not to. I can throw it pretty well on floor, but on trampoline its really hard and janky. Any advice??

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

The biggest tip I have is to think of it as a "layout full" instead of just a "full". the layout is just as important as the twist, so make sure that your layout is very high and tight. twisting early can sometimes happen because the layout is too low so they have to start the twist too early in order to make it all the way around, I don't know if this is the case but it always helps to practice skills that you already have. make sure your twist is tight so you can spin fast enough, and don't start twisting until after you are inverted in your layout. ask your coaches for drills to help delay your twist. try doing a normal layout and then doing a full turn immediately after you land, to get the feel of layout-full. try giving yourself a count to full on (for example: swing/run 1, hurdle 3, RO 5, BHS 7, set 1, twist 3) this might help you delay the twist. if you don't mind posting a video of your full (and your layout) it would be a lot easier to see what the problem is. hope this helped some :)

Do you hurdle in your round off to the same side that you twist in your full? Example hurdle right and twist right or hurdle left and twist left?

I have the same problem, in my full and double full (even though I can land both). It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but being confident while waiting longer, even though it's literally a fraction of a second, will help a lot.

Then my advice wouldn't apply. I was going to say twisting the same side that you hurdle helped my CP with that issue.

Back