High School Cheer Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 16, 2018
Our school has 1850 students total and a majority of the students come from an Asian background. Our school is very competitive academically, but are lacking in athletics.
For example, our football team has only won once throughout this and the previous season. We really don't have much school spirit either and everyone is focused on getting into top colleges. Because of this, I don't really like cheering at football games and I've cheered for the sole purpose of performing and competing.

I am now a HS senior and have been cheering on the school team since freshmen year. Ever since my sophomore year, competition team has become optional, and because of the student climate at our school, no one wants to do competition team because they think it takes too much time and would rather use that time to study.

We actually competed this year for the first time since my freshmen year, and got a bid to nationals, but ever since then, a lot of girls quit or were kicked off because of bad grades. Right now, we are depending on one girl to get her grades back up to be able to register for nationals with a team of 8 people.

All I have done in high school was cheer and keep up my grades, and it makes me so sad to think after all of this, I won't be able to go to nationals my senior year. I've been cheering all these time to get a chance to compete again. Any tips or comments from anyone in a similar situation would be helpful!

dang, sorry to hear.

seems like you really enjoy cheer and the positive aspects it brings to your school life.

look into cheering in college. there are lots of opportunities at various levels. keep your passion going.

That's really unfortunate , on the other hand i'm pretty sure you'll have better opportunities in the future to join competitive cheer : ) Keep the spirit going !

I was in a similar situation my senior year of high school. We had a tiny team (only 6) and we didn’t compete. While I knew competing wasn’t a reality, the team was very complacent to not build skills. They were happy just doing prep level stunts and goofing around at practice. I wanted to cheer in college and was not happy being on the team.
I ended up quitting and going to a local gymnastics gym to work on my tumbling skills and stay in shape in the meantime. When spring rolled around and the college team I was interested in held clinics.
If your team ends up not being able to compete and you’re unhappy, don’t feel bad if the best route for you is to quit and look for other options to keep your passion alive. This could be open gyms at an all star gym or a gymnastics gym, or an open team, or a local team. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back