All-Star How Do All-star Bids Work?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
Explain it to me like I don’t know anything, because I don’t.

I searched the forum for answers but all entries I could find were written as if they assumed the reader had prior knowledge of the process. I do not.

Thanks!

This depends entirely on what type of bid you are referring to. There are many different kinds.

In general there are a few bids that most people are talking about.

There are World’s bids. These are bids to the USASF’s World’s in April. They are for level 5 senior teams and above. They are offered at specific events. The events have discretion as to how to award them. They can offer paid bids ( team gets lodging and event registration for free), partial paid bids ( team gets some of the above paid for) and at large bids ( team pays the above fees). Paid and Partial paid bids don’t need to compete in preliminary rounds for large divisions. Generally speaking they are awarded to the highest scoring teams, who don’t have bids. But level 6 and international levels are often excluded. You can upgrade from an at large bid to a paid bid.

Then there are Summit and D2 summit bids. Summit is for levels 1-5 youth through senior 5R. This event is put on by Varsity in May. It would s open to any gym that receives a bid. D2 Summit is the same, but only open to gyms with 125 total members or less, and one location.

To earn summit bids, the teams must compete at a sanctioned event. One day events award wildcard bids to the highest scoring team in each age division ( 1 youth, 1 junior, 1 senior). A wildcard bid means the team competes in a preliminary round at the Summit, or D2 Summit. The top 3 teams go on. Top 2 directly to finals. 3rd place to semi finals.

There are several different two day events that also award Summit and D2 Summit bids. Some offer 5 at large bids. These are unpaid bids but entitle the team to go directly to semi finals. These go to the top scoring team in level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4 and level 4.2/5/5R. These can not go to any team that already has a wildcard bid.

There are competitions that have 3 paid bids, and 5 at larges. The paid bids go to top teams in youth, junior, senior who are eligible. ( meaning they don’t already have a paid bid, and are in either the Summit, or D2 Summit category). The 5 at larges then go to highest remaining of level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4 and level 4.2/5/5R.

There are 4 National Competetions. NCA Nationals, Cheersport Nationals Jamfesr SuperNationals and UCA Internationals which have more bids. The rules for how they award them are different. And specified here.
https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/18/Summit/SS-D2SummitBidDeclaration18.pdf

https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/18/Summit/SS-D2SummitBidDeclaration18.pdf

For Summit there is also an International Division. Which I’m not sure I understand. I think you have to specify that you want bids in that division, but I’m not really clear.

There are also some Summit Bids awarded to teams who participated in certain Varsity camps.

This depends entirely on what type of bid you are referring to. There are many different kinds.

In general there are a few bids that most people are talking about.

There are World’s bids. These are bids to the USASF’s World’s in April. They are for level 5 senior teams and above. They are offered at specific events. The events have discretion as to how to award them. They can offer paid bids ( team gets lodging and event registration for free), partial paid bids ( team gets some of the above paid for) and at large bids ( team pays the above fees). Paid and Partial paid bids don’t need to compete in preliminary rounds for large divisions. Generally speaking they are awarded to the highest scoring teams, who don’t have bids. But level 6 and international levels are often excluded. You can upgrade from an at large bid to a paid bid.

Then there are Summit and D2 summit bids. Summit is for levels 1-5 youth through senior 5R. This event is put on by Varsity in May. It would s open to any gym that receives a bid. D2 Summit is the same, but only open to gyms with 125 total members or less, and one location.

To earn summit bids, the teams must compete at a sanctioned event. One day events award wildcard bids to the highest scoring team in each age division ( 1 youth, 1 junior, 1 senior). A wildcard bid means the team competes in a preliminary round at the Summit, or D2 Summit. The top 3 teams go on. Top 2 directly to finals. 3rd place to semi finals.

There are several different two day events that also award Summit and D2 Summit bids. Some offer 5 at large bids. These are unpaid bids but entitle the team to go directly to semi finals. These go to the top scoring team in level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4 and level 4.2/5/5R. These can not go to any team that already has a wildcard bid.

There are competitions that have 3 paid bids, and 5 at larges. The paid bids go to top teams in youth, junior, senior who are eligible. ( meaning they don’t already have a paid bid, and are in either the Summit, or D2 Summit category). The 5 at larges then go to highest remaining of level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4 and level 4.2/5/5R.

There are 4 National Competetions. NCA Nationals, Cheersport Nationals Jamfesr SuperNationals and UCA Internationals which have more bids. The rules for how they award them are different. And specified here.

For Summit there is also an International Division. Which I’m not sure I understand. I think you have to specify that you want bids in that division, but I’m not really clear.

There are also some Summit Bids awarded to teams who participated in certain Varsity camps.

I guess I don’t understand the prelims part for at large bids. So if a team qualifies for an at large bid for Worlds at an event, it means they can go to Worlds but they have to get through a prelim before they can go compete with everyone else?

They compete against the other at large bid teams, and the (top20?) continues...
On day two the compete against the other advanced teams from prelims again and all teams that received a paid bid.
If theyare part of the top 10 on day 2, they continue to finals(day3)

No more partial paid for worlds. Only full paid and at-large.

ETA: only for USA.

Last edited:
They compete against the other at large bid teams, and the (top20?) continues...
On day two the compete against the other advanced teams from prelims again and all teams that received a paid bid.
If theyare part of the top 10 on day 2, they continue to finals(day3)
Sr teams and IO5/6 teams r different .....Io5/6 US teams all compete in prelims, whether paid or at large. (Paid go last) Then top 10 compete against international teams and top 3 from each country go in to finals.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind why wildcards can't be upgraded to at large? I'm guessing because then more teams would accept them and the WCs would get discarded too much when teams upgrade to AL...?

What if a team goes to an event and wins a full bid even if they already have a full bid? Does the bid then go to the next team down that’s eligible? What if a team has a partial bid? Can they try again for a full bid and upgrade?

Also, how many bids per division?

What if a team goes to an event and wins a full bid even if they already have a full bid? Does the bid then go to the next team down that’s eligible? What if a team has a partial bid? Can they try again for a full bid and upgrade?

Also, how many bids per division?
If a team already has a full paid bid, the bid will go to the next team in line. The competition will know which teams have which bids and they will essentially be crossed off the list when awarding bids.
Partial paids can upgrade to full paids, and if they do, the previous partial paid bid that team had will get passed down to the next team in line at the initial comp the partial paid bid was won at. I believe Canada now has one comp that offers full paid bids, but most of their comps are still partial paids. The USA no longer has any comps that offer partial paid bids, so that will not apply.
There is no set number of bids per division overall. Some comps will specify number of bids per division allotted at that specific comp though, and that varies greatly.

About how many teams overall go to Worlds/Summit? How exclusive is it? What are the raw participation numbers before prelims/etc. take place? I understand it’s an honour, but I’m getting the impression teams can finagle their way to a bid if they keep trying. Is this accurate?

About how many teams overall go to Worlds/Summit? How exclusive is it? What are the raw participation numbers before prelims/etc. take place? I understand it’s an honour, but I’m getting the impression teams can finagle their way to a bid if they keep trying. Is this accurate?
There were a little under 500 teams at Worlds this past season. Quite a bit more than that at Summit and D2 Summit. I would estimate somewhere around 90% of teams that compete in a Worlds division at Worlds bid competitions throughout the season earn a bid. That percentage is much harder to estimate for Summit/D2 Summit, but it is definitely much much lower than that. Worlds use to be much more exclusive than it is now, it is relatively easy to earn a bid. There have been competitions in the past that actually had more bids to give out than teams eligible, so every team walked out of the comp with a bid to Worlds.
However, there does seem to be more and more Summit bids given out each year with a couple comps already this season having more bids than teams to receive them.

Back