High School How do I get stronger?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 31, 2022
I’m a first year base and my flyer is super inexperienced and doesn’t know how to hold her own. She then tells me all about what i’m doing wrong. What do I do to get strong enough to do more than i need to? If it’s relevant she is basically the same size as me, around the same height and weight, and I do not have much strength.

I’m a first year base and my flyer is super inexperienced and doesn’t know how to hold her own. She then tells me all about what i’m doing wrong. What do I do to get strong enough to do more than i need to? If it’s relevant she is basically the same size as me, around the same height and weight, and I do not have much strength.

1) Find a strength and conditioning coach. In most cases, you can start with your school's football coach. The football team may have a dedicated S & C coach. If they offer such things as a class, try to get into the class.

2) You want someone who understands that as a female athlete, it's ok for you to lift low volume with heavy weights.

3) Don't be worried about "bulking up." You'll experience some muscle growth, but assuming you're a female, your body doesn't produce enough testosterone for you to develop the appearance of one of those roided-out female body builders.

4) Be ready to forget everything you've ever learned about working out and try something new.

We put our kids in the weight room with the football team's S and C coach this year, and their improvement is off the charts. If you can convince your coach to dedicated 30 minutes a day to a hardcore lifting routine developed by someone who knows what they're doing, it'll be worth every minute of practice time you sacrifice.

Back