All-Star How Does Your Cp Inspire You?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Amawhitmom

Cheer Parent
Jun 4, 2012
Hi! My name is Jacqueline and I'm the mom to 2 great CPs, Amanda (age 12, Sr2) and Whitney (age8, youth2). This story is about 8 year old Whitney.

In November, during a routine tumbling pass at cheer, she landed incorrectly, broke her arm, completely tore her UCL (elbow ligament) and took an extra piece of the bone with it. It's the kind of injury that would bring a professional athlete to his knees. She barely cried. Instead, she went back out on the cheer floor and continued to cheer. I had no clue how seriously she was injured until days later. First the dr said it was a sprain, then a fracture and finally a torn UCL. The drs talked about months of rehab she would need and the probability of surgery ("Tommy Johns" surgery, for anyone interested). So far she's spent one week in a sling, 4 weeks in a cast and 6 1/2 weeks in grueling and painful physical therapy. She does hours worth of exercises and stretches everyday and charts her progress as she goes. While in the sling and cast, she went to every cheer practice to "cheer on her team" with a smile on her face even though I knew her heart is breaking by sitting on the sidelines watching her friends enjoy a sport she loves.

10 days before our first competition, she was cleared to return to cheer and allowed to join her team on the Mat. She was not allowed to tumble, but she flew the entire routine and hit every stunt!

Last week she was finally cleared to tumble. She could not have been more excited! During a Private on her second day tumbling she got her RO BHS Tuck for the very first time! I was in shock! This kid is Fierce!

Yesterday was her last day of physical therapy and today she returns to the orthopedist one last time. She is doing amazing and I could not be more proud of her. She has endured a lot of pain, tears and sleepless nights, but never lost her sense of humor or love of Cheer. She's a true inspiration for me.

I'm sure many of you and your amazing CPs have great inspirational stories! I'd love to hear them!

Thank you for letting me share mine :)

Jacqueline

Last season my cp made the team she dreamed of since she was 5. J5- she started off great until one day she broke her collar bone. We were devastated. She went to every practice and could not wait to practice. But once cleared she was scared to throw a bhs. I did not know what to do. She had a double, a 1 to full, jumps to back before her injury. Sh would literally stand in the corner and cry she was so scared. It broke my heart. I sat her down and told her she could just give up and goto a different team. She refused. Our coach(gymnast) worked with her everyday sometimes for free to build her confidence. You would not believe how proud I was the day she threw a robhs tuck by herself. She fought her fear to keep her spot and I am proud to say that she Is better than ever:) at 9 she showed so much courage and heart that I was totally the most proud mom ever!

great thread! my cp has inspired me because she found her passion. i keep asking her to try other sports, that she doesn't have to give up cheer, but try something else during the spring but she says she doesn't want to try anything else. she inspires me because she works so hard to attain a new skill. she will be in the gym for 6 hours on a weekend having a double practice and when practice is over she will go to the tumble track to work on something. sometimes i have to pull her out of the gym. i am in awe of her for all of the effort she puts into cheer. :kiss:

Mine inspires me with her maturity. She has such a grown up view of things--she hates slumber parties b/c of the drama they always seem to bring.
She's recently caught the coaching bug and has been helping out with tiny's and mini's. It makes me so proud to see her passion growing in different ways. She's still such a kid (she's 10) but I can see an awesome future as a mother-daughter coaching team and it's exciting.

Mine inspires me by never giving up. She has had a mental block with her bhspg for 9 years now and has tried everything to get over it. Her coaches haven't helped, they basically gave up on her a long time ago. Most girls in our gym quit when they couldn't get over the mental blocks, but not my cp. I don't know which was worse, the mental blocks or the coaches attitude towards her. Fortunately she was a beast in stunting and always made the best team at the gym without her tumbling. She has dealt with so much but never quit because she loves cheer so much!

Last season my cp made the team she dreamed of since she was 5. J5- she started off great until one day she broke her collar bone. We were devastated. She went to every practice and could not wait to practice. But once cleared she was scared to throw a bhs. I did not know what to do. She had a double, a 1 to full, jumps to back before her injury. Sh would literally stand in the corner and cry she was so scared. It broke my heart. I sat her down and told her she could just give up and goto a different team. She refused. Our coach(gymnast) worked with her everyday sometimes for free to build her confidence. You would not believe how proud I was the day she threw a robhs tuck by herself. She fought her fear to keep her spot and I am proud to say that she Is better than ever:) at 9 she showed so much courage and heart that I was totally the most proud mom ever!

You are so so fortunate to have such an amazing coach for your daughter! My cp's mental block started when she was injured but her coaches never cared about that. They always told her it was made up, that she just didn't want to tumble badly enough. Very much not the case.

You are so so fortunate to have such an amazing coach for your daughter! My cp's mental block started when she was injured but her coaches never cared about that. They always told her it was made up, that she just didn't want to tumble badly enough. Very much not the case.
That makes me so sad. These kids put their hearts and soul into this--and it's evident from your first post that heart and soul is oozing out of your daughter. The least we can do as coaches is to give it right back. I love kids so much more for their efforts than their actual skills.

I can't say this is how much CP has inspired me as how much I am in awe of his dedication to cheer leading and determination to continue doing what he loves and excel at learning new skills regardless of how he is treated for it. As some of you know being a male cheer leader is very difficult because it goes against all stereotypes of what a young boy should do. The looks, comments, and bullying he got from kids and parents, which still occur today, has not deterred him from his dream. The worst experience was when a group of kids from a different pop-warner football team cornered him in the bathroom and began pushing him into walls and threatening to beat him up. Thankfully a girl from his squad heard what was going on and rushed in to help. He has had very few friends growing up because of this and now his closest friends are all from cheer. The only time he was not hassled was when getting in trouble for tumbling in the school hallways because the kids were impressed with what he can do. To top it all off I am in awe that at his young age he knows who he is and is both comfortable and confident with it. In my mind he is truly a hero and someone to look up to, unless he is pouting for not getting his way then we just have to ignore him.:rolleyes:

My cp inspires me with her dedication for all our teams. She never misses a practise - she wakes up with bad headache or is sick, but she will still go to school (i would let her stay at home) because she needs to go to practise.
If she had a hard day, is frustrated or tired, the moment she starts with warm-up, she´s happy.
She fights for every stunt, no matter in which spot i put her. She cares for her team members, practises at home and stopped doing other sports because she does not want to injure herself and risk not being able to practise.
She helps me with the paperwork for our gym.

Most impressed me her first competition.
She was really little and it was her first year of cheer. It was a Mini L2 team and she was the high flyer in a pyramid. Back then Minis were allowed to build pyramids with middlelayers on shouldersits.
In warm-ups they did a split pyramid and she was supposed to do a braced front roll down to cradle.
The kids were nervous and didn´t dip on counts and she did the front flip down, the bases didn´t catch her and she fell on her head.
She stood up, shaking and dizzy. Luckily she wasn´t injured.
I told her she did not have to do it, we could change it so she will go back to her bases with feet first.
She said she will do it, because we need the difficulty and she wants to hit this.
I was so proud as her mom and her coach.
Today, she is still fearless and when i see her stunting as a base (she´s 13) with my senior flyers that are 20ish, i´m impressed every time.

That makes me so sad. These kids put their hearts and soul into this--and it's evident from your first post that heart and soul is oozing out of your daughter. The least we can do as coaches is to give it right back. I love kids so much more for their efforts than their actual skills.

I wish more coaches were like this! I wish I could tell you the hours and dollars put into privates, counseling, even hypnotherapy to help my cp with this but every time she would show progress and want to show her coaches, they wouldn't give her the time of day. For example she got a ro tuck and even though her team was level 3 at the time, her coach told her that she wouldn't be tumbling in the routine until she started throwing her ro bhspg tuck again. And trust me that team needed all the tumbling it could get. Or other years the coach would say it could only go in the routine if she never missed a pass during tumbling. Never once in all the years of cheer did my cp ever miss her pass at a competition the very few times she was allowed to tumble in the routine. But the coaches didnt want to deal with it, or her.

I wish more coaches were like this! I wish I could tell you the hours and dollars put into privates, counseling, even hypnotherapy to help my cp with this but every time she would show progress and want to show her coaches, they wouldn't give her the time of day. For example she got a ro tuck and even though her team was level 3 at the time, her coach told her that she wouldn't be tumbling in the routine until she started throwing her ro bhspg tuck again. And trust me that team needed all the tumbling it could get. Or other years the coach would say it could only go in the routine if she never missed a pass during tumbling. Never once in all the years of cheer did my cp ever miss her pass at a competition the very few times she was allowed to tumble in the routine. But the coaches didnt want to deal with it, or her.
Sounds like your coaches were not very understanding with her tumbling block and I'm sorry but that's just wrong. It sounds like you did everything in your power to get her the best advice and help possible.

Sounds like your coaches were not very understanding with her tumbling block and I'm sorry but that's just wrong. It sounds like you did everything in your power to get her the best advice and help possible.

Thank you, wish I had known about Debbie love back then! Lol

My 9-year-old daughter inspires me for reasons that have very little to do with her cheer performance:

The other day, she came home with a straight-A report card.

At a recent parent-teacher conference, her teacher said that she's the kid who's always willing to help someone else out. Not just adults, but kids as well. She's the kid who couldn't say something mean about someone else (other than her little brother) if she tried.

She once went out of her way to not just call a cheer friend of hers who got hurt because she thought it would "make her feel better", but to use her own money to buy her a small present.

She's a nugget in her cheer routine for the most part, but instead of complaining has worked really hard to perform her parts of the routine as well as she can.

She had a school project this year that allowed for "some adult assistance", but insisted on doing everything herself. And got an A on it.

She doesn't cheat, or cut corners. She knows when she gets whiny and apologizes to me for whining before I even have a chance to say anything.

Overall, she's a fundamentally decent person and I pray every day that the realities of (soon-to-be) middle-school and high-school life don't beat that out of her.

abbyandy9 I understand not wanting to add in passes for a tumbler that doesn't always tumble, but understanding individual situations and being supportive is where I may be different. I have an off and on mental block case on my youth 2 this year. It shows up then goes away within days of each other--some days shes 100%, others only 50%, others we get nothin'. But we choose to leave her tumbling in bc she is still pushing for it and working hard.
I don't always pretend to know the answers or even understand other coaches reasons for the way they do things, but what works for me is not making a big deal of the block and just continuing to practice as if things were normal. Takes the pressure off a lot IMO.

My 9-year-old daughter inspires me for reasons that have very little to do with her cheer performance:

The other day, she came home with a straight-A report card.

At a recent parent-teacher conference, her teacher said that she's the kid who's always willing to help someone else out. Not just adults, but kids as well. She's the kid who couldn't say something mean about someone else (other than her little brother) if she tried.

She once went out of her way to not just call a cheer friend of hers who got hurt because she thought it would "make her feel better", but to use her own money to buy her a small present.

She's a nugget in her cheer routine for the most part, but instead of complaining has worked really hard to perform her parts of the routine as well as she can.

She had a school project this year that allowed for "some adult assistance", but insisted on doing everything herself. And got an A on it.

She doesn't cheat, or cut corners. She knows when she gets whiny and apologizes to me for whining before I even have a chance to say anything.

Overall, she's a fundamentally decent person and I pray every day that the realities of (soon-to-be) middle-school and high-school life don't beat that out of her.

I just fell in love with this kid. Awesome sauce.

Back