How Many Times Should A Kid Nugget In A Routine?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 5, 2020
Hi I'm new to cheer but my daughter is very passionate. She is a nugget at least 4 separate times in her routine and I'm just wondering if that sounds normal. She feels disappointed and honestly its kindve a bummer to watch her spend most of the routine just crouched down like that. It probably equates to about half of the routine if you added all of her nugget time together. She is the only one in a nugget this much but is also the youngest. I just want to know if this is normal. I don't want to start a problem with the gym but also don't love that I'm spending a lot of time and $ to watch my kid sit on the ground. Thank you for your insight!

Which sections is she nuggeting for?

Eg. Stunt, elite stunt, tumbling, jumps, baskets, pyramid?

There are different reasons for nugget status and it really depends on the section.

I can only speak for my time spent coaching HS but here are some nugget reasons. Ask yourself if any may be true for your kid:

Tumbling: has no tumbling, does not have the tumbling needed, has tumbling but not consistent, recent tumbling-related block or injury.

Jumps: Jumps not consistent enough to really be in the formation, they have majority doing the requisite jump skills well and don't particularly need hers, injury.

Stunt: Not consistent as base. Not consistent or needed as flyer, already have x number of groups and no place for her to contribute meaningfully (other bases are stronger?)

Dance: Doesn't actually know the dance. Does not put effort into the dance. Dances with no facial expression or showmanship.

There are also reasons like: Suzy misses too many practices. Suzy is late for practice all the time and is not dependable.

Then there are choreo type reasons such as Suzy nuggets in baskets because she has to throw xyz pass like 3 counts after that. Or Joann is a pyramid background girl because she just threw a bounceback pass in running tumbling right before that.

Which sections is she nuggeting for?

Eg. Stunt, elite stunt, tumbling, jumps, baskets, pyramid?

There are different reasons for nugget status and it really depends on the section.

I can only speak for my time spent coaching HS but here are some nugget reasons. Ask yourself if any may be true for your kid:

Tumbling: has no tumbling, does not have the tumbling needed, has tumbling but not consistent, recent tumbling-related block or injury.

Jumps: Jumps not consistent enough to really be in the formation, they have majority doing the requisite jump skills well and don't particularly need hers, injury.

Stunt: Not consistent as base. Not consistent or needed as flyer, already have x number of groups and no place for her to contribute meaningfully (other bases are stronger?)

Dance: Doesn't actually know the dance. Does not put effort into the dance. Dances with no facial expression or showmanship.

There are also reasons like: Suzy misses too many practices. Suzy is late for practice all the time and is not dependable.

Then there are choreo type reasons such as Suzy nuggets in baskets because she has to throw xyz pass like 3 counts after that. Or Joann is a pyramid background girl because she just threw a bounceback pass in running tumbling right before that.
This and all of this.

As much as it stinks to consider this, if your child is doing barely anything during the routine, it may be because she isn't ready for the level team that she's on. If there's a lower level, age appropriate team, it wouldn't be out of line to ask her coaches whether that team may be a better fit.

I've been there too. It does suck. But if she takes part in some of the routine and is learning then it might be worth it. She should ask the coaches what she can work on to be able to nugget less. Or yes, if there is a lower level team that might be a better fit.

Back