All-Star I'm 24 - Is It Too Late To Restart Allstar Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 22, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm 24 and I'm thinking of starting Allstar cheer again.
I recently moved to Georgia, about 15 minutes away from a famous gym, so I was thinking of going there for tumbling and flying lessons then eventually try out but i'm so nervous that I'm too old to start all over.

I used to do Allstar cheer when I was 15 in my hometown at a small gym. I wasn't the greatest, I was on a level 2 team for two years. but I LOVED it. I did it up until I was 17 & I got into a very bad car accident that left me with a concussion, two sprained legs and pulled muscles in my back. They took me off the team I was placed on that year, and it seemed like nobody wanted to help me regain my skills back. I eventually just gave up on it.

I have been a fan of the gym near me since I was younger. I drive past their gym everyday on my drive home lol and I always just wanna stop in and join. But I have NO skills anymore. Like, probably just a cartwheel that's about it. I'm actually embarrassed to step into a gym full of so much talent with no skills.

So im wondering - is it too late for me to start again at 24? or should I go for it?

There are non tumbling teams. Are you open to all positions or only flying?

I’m 30 and returning after over a decade away; you can for sure do it!

I started taking privates at the gym near me to regain tumbling skills. Perhaps you can look into that being a possible option? I was nervous walking back into a gym for the first time in so long, but I’m so glad I did. As cheesy as it sounds, I felt a piece of myself return.

I mean this season might not necessarily be the best season to restart but age wise no it is not too late. Maybe look to see if they have an open 4? I did an open 4 for a few seasons and really enjoyed it. Level 4 stunts are skills that in our day only colleges were doing so theres plenty of difficulty to play around with and have fun but the teams tend to be much lower stress and basically "just for fun". Way less work then when I was on a coed 6 last season but still a lot of fun and it kept me in really good shape.

Our level 4 stunt was a back handspring up to arabesque, a low to high stretch to stretch tik toc, a straddle drop the floor that balled up to extension, a high to high full around to lib, and a kick full dismount. It was way harder than the stunts I used to do on level 5 worlds teams.

Nope not at all!!

I'm 26 and looking to get back into cheering. It might be a little late this season (I've been trying to find team openings to no avail), but I would definitely look into it for next year.

Do none of the gyms near you have nontumbling teams or just the one you're interested in? It would definitely be worth looking into other options, even if only for a season while you try to regain/learn some skills.

P.S. If anyone knows of any teams with spots open in RI/MA/CT, please let me know!

Honestly, if open 1 existed, I’d love to join a team, and I’m pushing 50 and see stars when I do a forward rollI loved the parent team, but Covid ended that and CP graduates in May, so I’ve lost my excuse.

I retired after the 2013/2014 season due to wayyy too many concussions, and knee problems (I was 20). I returned when I returned to school for my degree and made my university team in 2018/19 at 24 years. Before I retired I had my full and specialties to layout, when I returned I was far from the athlete I was prior, my body remembered how to do it (even though it hurt! lol) my brain did not like the idea of flipping in the air and had a MAJOR tumbling block... I managed to get back all lvl 2, with some lvl 3 and a few level 4 skills on a good day. Stunting and Jumps were like riding a bike. :) Where I live there is no stunting due to covid anytime soon, which is unfortunate since that is where I shine, I doubt I could make a team locally with my current skillset and age (26). I think if your willing to put the time and practice in it's possible, be willing to be an alternate, be in the gym working on your skills as often as you can. Gyms don't guarantee a placement for athletes over 18 as they do for those under 18. This was a hard truth I had to face when I first wanted to re-join All Star in 2016.

Honestly, if open 1 existed, I’d love to join a team, and I’m pushing 50 and see stars when I do a forward rollI loved the parent team, but Covid ended that and CP graduates in May, so I’ve lost my excuse.

I'd love to see open 1 too, I was so disappointed to not live in Europe when I found out their senior has no max age. Still waiting on our parent team to be a thing again.

Back