I'm Going For It !!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 31, 2014
So this upcoming summer i'm going to open my own cheer program with a Youth Level 1 and Mini Prep Level 1
At my local community center and later on if we get over 20 members i can rent a space at a gymnastics gym. I really want to hear from you the cheer moms and dads. What are somethings that you like that your gym does like practices, competitions, team bonding. fundraisers and policies.

Well...I could write a book so I don't even know where to start. But if there's specific questions you may have then fire away. I'm all about helping out a fellow coach. There's nothing better than growing our sport in positive ways. Congratulations on your decision and good luck!

My first piece of advice:
While it's easy to dream about all the fun and good and successful things, take some time to really consider all the bad and ugly and terrible things. Plan for that stuff first. Passion can be sucked out of you quickly if you don't have plan B's, secure policies and enforceable rules that you believe in 100%.

ETA: Thanks for the endorsement and tag @Official OWECheer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to what OWE said! There is a wealth of very successful and talented coaches/owners on this board! Reach out to them and parents like @ACEDAD who have been in this industry since polyester flyaway skirts!

I had accidentally already read the op's post and intentionally ignored it. Thanks.

[emoji56]

I'm not going to give general advice because that never seems welcomed. But I will answer any specific questions.

I think that tends to show whether this has really been thought through or not.

**ACE: we're coming to your city!**

Last edited:
Thanks for the tag. Feel free to ask, and I will definitely do my best to answer. We wish you all of the best in your plans!

Thanks for the tag. Feel free to ask, and I will definitely do my best to answer. We wish you all of the best in your plans!
certification what do i need. I know I have to take a test with usasf but that's all I know that I have to take a test. Do I have to if i'm going to coach level ones teams? and what about my stuff what do they need?

Well...I could write a book so I don't even know where to start. But if there's specific questions you may have then fire away. I'm all about helping out a fellow coach. There's nothing better than growing our sport in positive ways. Congratulations on your decision and good luck!

My first piece of advice:
While it's easy to dream about all the fun and good and successful things, take some time to really consider all the bad and ugly and terrible things. Plan for that stuff first. Passion can be sucked out of you quickly if you don't have plan B's, secure policies and enforceable rules that you believe in 100%.

ETA: Thanks for the endorsement and tag @Official OWECheer

certification what do i need. I know I have to take a test with usasf but that's all I know that I have to take a test. Do I have to if i'm going to coach level ones teams? and what about my stuff what do they need?

You need to be properly certified for whatever programs that you plan on having. At the very least you need to have:

USASF Safety Certification
USASF Level Certification. Even if you are only starting out with Level 1, I personally would at least try to certify up through Level 3 to start. This at least gives you background in the required progressions and should an athlete higher than a level 1 choose your program, you have it covered.
Concussion Certification - offered through USASF
First Aid/CPR

Additional certifications/training I would seek as an owner/director
USAG
USTA
Judges certification or training

My suggestion would be staff needs to be similarly certified. You want to start from the beginning building a quality staff that understands the value of training/learning/progressions and not just flipping, throwing and chucking kids and I will catch you. The way we do ours is any mandatory certification that we require as a gym, we pay for. If they get additional certification that truly aids the overall program value, we reimburse. I teach our staff to take interest in training yourself and making yourself more valuable by getting certifications.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be staff needs to be similarly certified. You want to start from the beginning building a quality staff that understands the value of training/learning/progressions and not just flipping, throwing and chucking kids and I will catch you. The way we do ours is any mandatory certification that we require a gym, we pay for. If they get additional certification that truly aids the overall program value, we reimburse. I teach our staff to take interest in training yourself and making yourself more valuable by getting certifications.
I also recommend asking prospective coaches to provide any available tumbling footage of athletes they have coached. If the technique is poor, that might tell you something (that is, if the coach is responsible for the bad technique).

I also recommend asking prospective coaches to provide any available tumbling footage of athletes they have coached. If the technique is poor, that might tell you something (that is, if the coach is responsible for the bad technique).

This is something that should definitely be considered in the hiring process. When I was hired at my last two positions I was brought in for a few days and worked with every level class they had, along with teaching a few privates. This gave the owners, staff and parents a better insight as to how I operated as a coach, how I interacted with the athletes and parents, my thoughts on progressions, etc. IMO this was much better than a "oh he is coached for awhile and we don't want to teach tumbling, so lets just hire him" thing. They were actually conscious of how the tumbling program integrated into the whole program.

You need to be properly certified for whatever programs that you plan on having. At the very least you need to have:

USASF Safety Certification
USASF Level Certification. Even if you are only starting out with Level 1, I personally would at least try to certify up through Level 3 to start. This at least gives you background in the required progressions and should an athlete higher than a level 1 choose your program, you have it covered.
Concussion Certification - offered through USASF
First Aid/CPR

Additional certifications/training I would seek as an owner/director
USAG
USTA
Judges certification or training

My suggestion would be staff needs to be similarly certified. You want to start from the beginning building a quality staff that understands the value of training/learning/progressions and not just flipping, throwing and chucking kids and I will catch you. The way we do ours is any mandatory certification that we require as a gym, we pay for. If they get additional certification that truly aids the overall program value, we reimburse. I teach our staff to take interest in training yourself and making yourself more valuable by getting certifications.

what about Contracts and Waivers how do i get them do i go to a lawyer? How can i pay my stuff legality you know so they can get taxes

what about Contracts and Waivers how do i get them do i go to a lawyer? How can i pay my stuff legality you know so they can get taxes

The laws of each state vary. For this you need a great lawyer and an accountant to make sure that everything is done correctly and legally. To pay your staff legally you have to determine if they are employees or contract workers. Again, the laws of each state varies, but it is better to pay them as employees. Which may mean you have to pay a higher per hour rate, especially to tumbling coaches, since many are used to not having to pay taxes on their private lessons. You definitely need to consult the accountant on this one.

This is something that should definitely be considered in the hiring process. When I was hired at my last two positions I was brought in for a few days and worked with every level class they had, along with teaching a few privates. This gave the owners, staff and parents a better insight as to how I operated as a coach, how I interacted with the athletes and parents, my thoughts on progressions, etc. IMO this was much better than a "oh he is coached for awhile and we don't want to teach tumbling, so lets just hire him" thing. They were actually conscious of how the tumbling program integrated into the whole program.

The gymnastics gym that i'm hoping to move to once i get over 20 kids has great tumbling coaches. i'm going to try to hire one or two.

Back