All-Star Is 11-12 too late for All Star Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A

Anonymous

New mom here and looking for advice.. We were also new to the area and I assumed all-star would be out of our price range, so signed her up for the only other option which is a competitive program from our town. We are now a few years in, and needless to say I am unimpressed with the politics, butt kissing, and culture among the parents on her current squad, way too much to write. She has grown leaps from when she first started and flys, bases and backspots. She is also an introvert, who from her own mouth, isn't friendly with the majority of her super large team and I THINK wants to stay on her current team bc she is a flyer, loves the sport so much and it's at her current comfort level being around girls she knows. My husband and I are sort of in agreement that for next year we think we are going to pull her off the team. One of her friends cheers for an all-star team in town and so I thought she would jump at the opportunity to go on a team there, but she is just luke warm about it. Also, she cannot tumble, seems like she has a mental block for it. We've tried classes a few times here and there, and each time I can tell she really isn't trying and comes up with excuses like she is in a class with little kids, well, that's where her level is. This all star gym I am considering has a half year prep team, which I think would be a good option for her to dip her feet in. When I mentioned trying it this year, she immediately said she wanted to wait until next year. So would you force your kid to try something she doesn't want to try? Is even putting her on an all star team with her limited tumbling skills a good idea? Is her age way too late? Do we just let her stay on her school team that she is also on and wait until she comes to us asking to try all star?

Both of my kids began at age 14, with no skills, so "no," it's definitely not too late. Both of them aged out of them aged out on 4.2 with some level 3 skills. My suggestion, if she doesn't want to do AS prep (which is where both of my kid's began and fell in love with AS) would be to get her in a class to introduce her to the staff and some of the kids. Call and specifically ask for a beginner class with older kids.

With that said, forcing something that is supposed to be enjoyable rarely works, and AS is incredibly expensive to put a child in something they don't want. If your child is avoiding it solely for the reason it's new and scary (common at that age), the class might help. If your child is avoiding it because she truly doesn't want to do it, she will be miserable, it's a big commitment.

Both of my kids began at age 14, with no skills, so "no," it's definitely not too late. Both of them aged out of them aged out on 4.2 with some level 3 skills. My suggestion, if she doesn't want to do AS prep (which is where both of my kid's began and fell in love with AS) would be to get her in a class to introduce her to the staff and some of the kids. Call and specifically ask for a beginner class with older kids.

With that said, forcing something that is supposed to be enjoyable rarely works, and AS is incredibly expensive to put a child in something they don't want. If your child is avoiding it solely for the reason it's new and scary (common at that age), the class might help. If your child is avoiding it because she truly doesn't want to do it, she will be miserable, it's a big commitment.
I appreciate your feedback. I would never force my kid into any activity they didn't want to be in, but being her mom, I really think it's more a social, not knowing anyone, thing for her. But I think I will take the advice of you more experienced moms and wait until she asks, if she ever does..

Depends on your area. Does your local program have enough beginners starting as teens to have teams for them? Being pushed into a higher level team when you don't have the skills is a ton of pressure, and even if your child is still age eligible for youth, if everyone else in the gym your age is on a junior or senior team, it can feel very uncomfortable.

Also, it is difficult to be an older kid who is going through growth spurts and who just plain isn't as flexible surrounded by 6 yr olds who get their walkovers in a flash, when even if you get it, you might lose it in a month because you grew and your weight distribution shifted. I'd suggest tumbling privates unless there are enough kids to have an older beginner class.

Back