Is 15 Too Late To Cheer ??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 1, 2018
i’ve done pop warner cheer throughout middle school and haven’t cheered for about a year. I was thinking of doing all star cheer this year, my parents understand it’s a huge time/financial commitment and are very supportive but would I be able to start with only a round off, cartwheel, front limber, forward/backward roll etc. (NO BHS) ?? And how long do you think it’ll take for me to progress.. I’m a relatively fast learner do you think I’ll be able to progress a level or even 2 in a season ?? I’m pretty strong too.. is it too late for me to start all star cheer ??

I don't think its too late to start! Are there are gyms around you with a senior lvl 1 team? Lvl 1 does not require a backhandspring and I am sure you could learn a back walk over in a few months. The season after that, depending on your stunting ability and how fast you pick up tumbling there is a chance you could make lvl 2 which requires backhandsprings. I don't know too many people who are able to advance more than one lvl in a year especially since a lot of people find that picking up tumbling at an older age is harder than doing it when you are little.

I don't think its too late to start! Are there are gyms around you with a senior lvl 1 team? Lvl 1 does not require a backhandspring and I am sure you could learn a back walk over in a few months. The season after that, depending on your stunting ability and how fast you pick up tumbling there is a chance you could make lvl 2 which requires backhandsprings. I don't know too many people who are able to advance more than one lvl in a year especially since a lot of people find that picking up tumbling at an older age is harder than doing it when you are little.
There is a gym near me and it says on their website that everyone who goes through the evaluation process gets placed on a team so I guess so. I know I’d try hard and put the effort in.

There are senior 1 teams but if you have past experience it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to be put on a senior 2. Watch any big name gym and you will see kids that never tumble but bring something else to the team.
There is no reason you can't move up and then there is always IO teams after you age out. My 16 year old took some time off and hasn't done AS in years. This year is her first year back and she's more invested now then she was when she was younger. She actually wants to be there and has a drive to progress. Her plan is to keep working, progress her tumbling and possibly do CA IO teams in college.

There is a gym near me and it says on their website that everyone who goes through the evaluation process gets placed on a team so I guess so. I know I’d try hard and put the effort in.
Good luck! Cheerleading is so amazing! I wish I could go back and do allstar for a few more years.

Short answer: Not too late. That is what Senior 1 is for. Or Senior Prep 1 depending on what is offered.

A lot of TRUE beginner placements vary by gym, number of kids at that level who come to tryouts, etc.

Ex: Some start kids with no tumbling off on Senior 1. Others do not have enough with no tumbling so they go straight onto Senior 2. I even have heard of some starting nontumbling older athletes with no all star experience on 4.2.

Not too old! You can do it! There are level 1 teams, and believe me, level 1 teams are great and very talented! Work hard on getting then perfecting your front and back walkovers! You are going to do great!

i’ve done pop warner cheer throughout middle school and haven’t cheered for about a year. I was thinking of doing all star cheer this year, my parents understand it’s a huge time/financial commitment and are very supportive but would I be able to start with only a round off, cartwheel, front limber, forward/backward roll etc. (NO BHS) ?? And how long do you think it’ll take for me to progress.. I’m a relatively fast learner do you think I’ll be able to progress a level or even 2 in a season ?? I’m pretty strong too.. is it too late for me to start all star cheer ??
There’s some awesome level 1 Senior teams out there. As long as there’s a gym that places everyone you’ll be able to find a place.

I don’t think it’s too late to start. It’s all a matter of how much work you are willing to put towards it. Best of luck :)

I wouldn't say it's too late, just possibly be prepared for some younger kids on your team depending on how your gym does placements. Definitely agree with @Tinybutfierce the sport is all what you make of it! My best advice is to manage your time wisely when it comes to things like juggling schoolwork with practice and comps. It can be quite hectic at an older age, but may make you even appreciate the sport more!

As far as progression, highly recommend taking private lessons if possible (at least from time to time) if you're the kind of person who can take the feedback and get tons of practice on your own at things such as open gyms. Additionally, condition at home at possible. There's tons of exercises you can find online and you can try and ask your coaches for some as well. My cp loves the program called CheerFIT if it helps. I believe there is some kind of fee around $5 a month but they constantly post exercises for free on social media, with focus on certain areas like jumps or improving flexibility. Best of luck with your new cheer journeys! :D

My daughter did her first year of high school cheer at 14 and is starting all star this year at 15. She has level 2 tumbling, but she said there were girls at tryouts with none. If you'd really like to try, I bet you could find a senior level 1 team that you would really enjoy. :)

I wouldn't say it's too late, just possibly be prepared for some younger kids on your team depending on how your gym does placements. Definitely agree with @Tinybutfierce the sport is all what you make of it! My best advice is to manage your time wisely when it comes to things like juggling schoolwork with practice and comps. It can be quite hectic at an older age, but may make you even appreciate the sport more!

As far as progression, highly recommend taking private lessons if possible (at least from time to time) if you're the kind of person who can take the feedback and get tons of practice on your own at things such as open gyms. Additionally, condition at home at possible. There's tons of exercises you can find online and you can try and ask your coaches for some as well. My cp loves the program called CheerFIT if it helps. I believe there is some kind of fee around $5 a month but they constantly post exercises for free on social media, with focus on certain areas like jumps or improving flexibility. Best of luck with your new cheer journeys! :D

I can't stress enough how important the conditioning at home is for the older beginning cheer athlete. You will see younger girls at the gym that get a skill with seemingly no effort. That is unlikely to happen at 15. Private lessons and open gyms are great, but if you don't have the strength to complete a skill, they are a waste of your $. Ask for strength building drills to do at home, don't skimp on stretching.

I can't stress enough how important the conditioning at home is for the older beginning cheer athlete. You will see younger girls at the gym that get a skill with seemingly no effort. That is unlikely to happen at 15. Private lessons and open gyms are great, but if you don't have the strength to complete a skill, they are a waste of your $. Ask for strength building drills to do at home, don't skimp on stretching.
Agree 100%. A good private lesson coach SHOULD provide these kinds of drills tailored to an athlete's specific weaknesses.

Back