Is 20 Too Old For All Star?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 2, 2016
Hello my name is Desha! I'm 20 and a college student I've always wanted to be involved with all star cheer but could never afford it growing up, so now that I'm an adult and most of my schooling is currently paid for I've decided to venture out and live life with no regrets I found an ioc5 team about 1.5 hours away from my college which is very affordable and I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and tryout this September. Now here's a little more information.
1. I've had 3 years of cheer experience (high school & community college)
2. I'm 5'7 120 lbs and was always a backspot
3. As almost every cheerleader says I WANT TO FLY (coed at least)

My main questions are
1. Am I too old to start this sport now?
2. I'm looking into transferring schools next year to TCU so I'm looking at switching gyms possibly to Cheer Athletics or SOT
So would it be smarter to tryout for a team and if I make it compete for a year then stay or switch (depending on if I transfer) or should I just continue to take my tumbling/stretching/tumbling classes instead?
4. I know with younger teams there really is a level for everyone but as an "adult" athlete I feel like I'll be really behind all the other athletes who have been cheering for years.

And one last question to any collegiate cheerleaders I've thought about cheering in college obviously because I'd get to do what I love and it could be covered by the school but I'm a musical theatre major so I'll be involved in shows and have performance requirements so I don't know how well those two would mesh...

I've also just considering joining the dance team because I have more technique and training as a dancer than I do a cheerleader (dancer for 11 years) but there's something about cheer that draws me in. It's like the same adrenaline I get from performing onstage but it's also different.

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice I can get!
Also if you cheer at TCU, CA, or SOT your advice would be awesome or if you anything about their ioc5 teams or collegiate cheer/dance team feel free to fill me in!

I started when I was 20, now 23, but I'm a guy, so it was a little easier for me to pick up tumbling/stunting. You really get what you put in. I worked out/got lessons and spent much of my free time learning and progressing. It wasn't easy, but my double full is coming along. I want to be on an IOC5 team that wins world's, and I have the drive, I just have to somehow get hired/move to Plano, TX/Miami, FL. :D if I can do it, you definitely can!

Edit!!: also you have experience so you're more equipped than I was when I started!

Go for it! 20 isn't too old. You will be happier if you try & fail then if you never try at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think I remember hearing somewhere that Open teams at CA are hardest to make because the talent is deep and those most likely to not make a team are open aged kids but I tagged BlueCat so he can clarify.

Both CA and SOT have Open 4 teams which is an option if your tumbling isn't level 5. I will tell you that if you're considering TCU, CA will be a HIKE. TCU is located in downtown Fort Worth, you're looking at an hour to hour and a half drive...at least. The only public transportation that can get you there is TRE to the DART up to Plano and then walking to the gym.
Spirit is located in Arlington but practices out of Coppell as well. A little shorter drive but still not easily accessible by public transportation.
Mavericks also has an IOC team and Champion out of Southlake has a level 6 that consistently places well at NCA.
Another thought, TCU is $35,000/year...have you thought about something more centrally located like UT-Arlington or UNT?

Both CA and SOT have Open 4 teams which is an option if your tumbling isn't level 5. I will tell you that if you're considering TCU, CA will be a HIKE. TCU is located in downtown Fort Worth, you're looking at an hour to hour and a half drive...at least. The only public transportation that can get you there is TRE to the DART up to Plano and then walking to the gym.
Spirit is located in Arlington but practices out of Coppell as well. A little shorter drive but still not easily accessible by public transportation.
Mavericks also has an IOC team and Champion out of Southlake has a level 6 that consistently places well at NCA.
Another thought, TCU is $35,000/year...have you thought about something more centrally located like UT-Arlington or UNT?
That information is greatly appreciated! Well my current school is $43,000 a year but has loads of scholarships but I'll continue doing my research. My main objective is a strong and challenging performing arts program (musical theatre major).

Hello my name is Desha! I'm 20 and a college student I've always wanted to be involved with all star cheer but could never afford it growing up, so now that I'm an adult and most of my schooling is currently paid for I've decided to venture out and live life with no regrets I found an ioc5 team about 1.5 hours away from my college which is very affordable and I think I'm going to take a leap of faith and tryout this September. Now here's a little more information.
1. I've had 3 years of cheer experience (high school & community college)
2. I'm 5'7 120 lbs and was always a backspot
3. As almost every cheerleader says I WANT TO FLY (coed at least)

My main questions are
1. Am I too old to start this sport now? Def not! Girl I won worlds at age 22 :)
2. I'm looking into transferring schools next year to TCU so I'm looking at switching gyms possibly to Cheer Athletics or SOT
So would it be smarter to tryout for a team and if I make it compete for a year then stay or switch (depending on if I transfer) or should I just continue to take my tumbling/stretching/tumbling classes instead? The best advice I can give is to go to both gyms, watch a practice and see which one you think You will fit in with better. Both SOT and CA are so different. I love both programs. Also check prices for tuition.

4. I know with younger teams there really is a level for everyone but as an "adult" athlete I feel like I'll be really behind all the other athletes who have been cheering for years. CA and SOT both had Open level 4 teams this year. Also you need to take drive distance into consideration. SOT practices out of two locations, both close to TCU. If you tryout at the CA Plano location that is the only place you will have practice

And one last question to any collegiate cheerleaders I've thought about cheering in college obviously because I'd get to do what I love and it could be covered by the school but I'm a musical theatre major so I'll be involved in shows and have performance requirements so I don't know how well those two would mesh...
You need to be upfront and honest. If you make a worlds team, its important that you are up front and honest about your performance dates for your other activities. Making a worlds team and staying on it all year long is two very different situations, so its important for you to be a practice if you want to be on mat.

I've also just considering joining the dance team because I have more technique and training as a dancer than I do a cheerleader (dancer for 11 years) but there's something about cheer that draws me in. It's like the same adrenaline I get from performing onstage but it's also different.

Anyway I'd appreciate any advice I can get!
Also if you cheer at TCU, CA, or SOT your advice would be awesome or if you anything about their ioc5 teams or collegiate cheer/dance team feel free to fill me in!

I responded in bold above to your questions. If you have anymore questions just let me know. CA has been a huge part in my life the last 5 years and I recommend anyone that is interested in trying out there.....to do it! You wont regret it. Well your bank account may hate you from time to time. lol

That information is greatly appreciated! Well my current school is $43,000 a year but has loads of scholarships but I'll continue doing my research. My main objective is a strong and challenging performing arts program (musical theatre major).

Look into the University of North Texas in Denton. They have an amazing performing arts/music program. The drive to Plano is not to bad from what I've heard.

I say go for it! Muscle memory is harder to learn when you're older, but with enough hard work (and talent!) you'll make it! :)

Back