High School Is Hs Cheerleading Recognized As A Sport In Your State?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 29, 2012
I am doing a speech on the idea that competitive cheerleading should be recognized as a sport. I have read in several articles that cheerleading is recognized in 29 states as a high school sport, but have only been able to find 23 high school state organization pages that list it as a sport. Here is what I have based off of each states organization page:
Florida .......... Georgia .......... Alaska .......... Arkansas
Colorado ........ Hawaii ........... Idaho ........... Illinois
Oregon ......... Pennsylvania ....... Kentucky ........... Maine
Michigan .......... New Hampshire .......... New Mexico ........ New York
North Dakota ........ Oklahoma ........ Rhode Island ......... South Dakota
Virginia ........ West Virginia ....... Vermont
Any help?? Who am I missing?

I am doing a speech on the idea that competitive cheerleading should be recognized as a sport. I have read in several articles that cheerleading is recognized in 29 states as a high school sport, but have only been able to find 23 high school state organization pages that list it as a sport. Here is what I have based off of each states organization page:
Is Kentucky? I know there were major discussions a year or two ago, and it never went through from what I thought. If it is a sport there then the typical sport rules aren't effecting the teams. Anyone involved in school cheer in KY on the boards know?

This is what it states on Kentucky's website:
"The KHSAA does not have the authority to designate Cheer as a sport. Within the programs of the KHSAA, Competitive Cheer is categorized as a “sport activity”. The Office of Civil Rights continues to state within the Federal regulations that cheer is not
a sport."

This is what it states on Kentucky's website:
"The KHSAA does not have the authority to designate Cheer as a sport. Within the programs of the KHSAA, Competitive Cheer is categorized as a “sport activity”. The Office of Civil Rights continues to state within the Federal regulations that cheer is not
a sport."
So it is not a sport, but you have it on your initial list? Am I misreading the first list? I thought it was a list of states where it is a sport?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Some states my quote cheerleading as a "sport" but in some states, if you compete nationally, you are not considering a sport, but have to comply to some of the same rules.

In Kentucky it is recognized as a "sport activity" as stated above. In simpler terms, this means that to be eligible to compete in Nationals and other out of state competitions, each school much compete in KHSAA region & state competition. Before it became a "sport activity" in 2012-2013, it was run by KAPOS (KY Association of Pep Organization Sponsors). Now the region & state competitions are governed by KHSAA.

As of today it is a sport in NY.

And I'm very curious to see how this will affect teams. Are there going to be rules made that limit when teams can hold tryouts and practices outside of their "official" season? Will teams be allowed to attend camps over the summer? Will coaches actually need to be certified? I guess we will have to wait and see!

And I'm very curious to see how this will affect teams. Are there going to be rules made that limit when teams can hold tryouts and practices outside of their "official" season? Will teams be allowed to attend camps over the summer? Will coaches actually need to be certified? I guess we will have to wait and see!

Not exactly NY State itself but rather the New York State Public High School Athletic Association has announced that the Department of Education is making cheerleading an official sport.

Am sure a lot of details still need to be worked out

Not exactly NY State itself but rather the New York State Public High School Athletic Association has announced that the Department of Education is making cheerleading an official sport.

Am sure a lot of details still need to be worked out
I don't know much, but the person I talked to said it was still very new and all the details haven't been finalized.

I don't know much, but the person I talked to said it was still very new and all the details haven't been finalized.
I just read another article that said the NYS Board of Regents still needs to vote on it tomorrow.

North Carolina I believe... The NCHSAA (North Carolina High School Athletic Association) holds their own competition every year and we have rules? So I think we're recognized.

Back