OT Its Going To Get Ugly...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

littlestALLSTAR

Cheer Parent
Apr 5, 2011
"Dance is an art form and cheer is just kids jumping around. No Comparison."

This is a comment I found on my facebook wall today, made by a "dance dad". I very much want to respond, and as soon as I am done posting this I intend to....but I would love to hear the opinions of the board in how to best handle someone who is clearly uneducated in all star cheer. I am going to do my best to keep my response civil.
I feel my crazy inner cheer mom getting her hackles up!

Ignorance...People just don't know how much work is actually put into all-star cheer..I would say dance is pretty comparable tho so kind of stupid on his part to say that

furthermore just as dance is an art form and there are many different genres of dance..there are many levels of cheer and they aren't easy so tell him to go look at some level 4 or 5 routines and ask if his kid can do have of what ours do :)

I think dance is an art form and cheer is a sport and both require athletes - I don't think that guy has a clue about what cheer is, but there are so many forms of cheer. He may never have seen what competitive cheer is and in that case he is just ignorant. I was a dancer that is where I came from, my high school cheerleaders were only sideline popular girls who perhaps did a cartwheel. I watch my kids bust their tush and I am in shock at what they do. My kids have been in dance class since they could walk and cheer as well. Either delete the post or give him a good education :)

Any attention you give this will bring weight to his statements. I wouldn't give him any power here.

This isn't in the right forum, by the way. This specific forum is intended for support about the site itself.

Maybe kingston or Admin will move this to an appropriate Forum. In the meantime, here's a suggested response:

"There are many different forms of cheer (sideline, competitive, rec, school, All Star, and college) each with their own level of athleticism and competition. This is similar to the many forms of dance, such as the hundreds of competitive dance dance that attends the Dance Worlds each year along side Cheer Worlds.

I'd be happy to discuss the positives of both our children's activities anytime you like."

Have fun. . .

Back