Judge Told Us To Pike Down

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 16, 2015
When I get to a computer instead of phone I can upload a picture of a score sheet comment, for more clarification.

In our competition this weekend one of our individual tumble pass competitiors did a ROBHS layout. (Picture an A&T layout)

Comments under technique read: " be sure to pike down"

Am I missing something in cheer world that I also missed in my credentialing testing that says that? At our gym we encourage proper progression to the full and "piking down" is not part of that.

How should I take this back with me ?

When I get to a computer instead of phone I can upload a picture of a score sheet comment, for more clarification.

In our competition this weekend one of our individual tumble pass competitiors did a ROBHS layout. (Picture an A&T layout)

Am I missing something in cheer world that I also missed in my credentialing testing that says that? At our gym we encourage proper progression to the full and "piking down" is not part of that.

I'm not even sure how to react to this... LMAO a judge is actually telling you to use bad technique? Only in cheer SMH. I'll bet you he/she teaches or was taught poor tumbling habits. This is sad, and a perfect argument for the necessity of properly training judges, coaches and athletes. At least you know better. Some coaches would really take that "correction" as gospel.

Sounds super confusing to me too ?!?! Maybe they meant to write something else? I once had a judge flat write "basket was needs" on our Score sheet. Basket was what?...needs what.?! But it scored really well?! Sometimes you have To keep in mind these judges see tons of people in a day/week/month... They're going to write some "huh?!" Stuff down... They're human. Unless it's a huge deduction ... I wouldn't take every correction too seriously... Cross reference other score sheets (be it from other judges at same comp or at different comps) and see if other judges have comments on the same skill. That's probably what that judge was referring to... If not I wouldn't focus on it too much. Just be thankful you didn't get a "doctor handwriting" judge. Ive had entire sheets of feedback completely illegible. I've looked down only to look up again not knowing if I had a score sheet or a prescription for antibiotics. Again, can I really blame them?! By my 20th squad I'd prefer to give a thumbs up or thumbs down... A 1-10 and call it a day.

Sounds super confusing to me too ?!?! Maybe they meant to write something else? I once had a judge flat write "basket was needs" on our Score sheet. Basket was what?...needs what.?! But it scored really well?! Sometimes you have To keep in mind these judges see tons of people in a day/week/month... They're going to write some "huh?!" Stuff down... They're human. Unless it's a huge deduction ... I wouldn't take every correction too seriously... Cross reference other score sheets (be it from other judges at same comp or at different comps) and see if other judges have comments on the same skill. That's probably what that judge was referring to... If not I wouldn't focus on it too much. Just be thankful you didn't get a "doctor handwriting" judge. Ive had entire sheets of feedback completely illegible. I've looked down only to look up again not knowing if I had a score sheet or a prescription for antibiotics. Again, can I really blame them?! By my 20th squad I'd prefer to give a thumbs up or thumbs down... A 1-10 and call it a day.

however yes... By saying to "pike down"... The athlete will undercut the skill...SO....if that IS what they intended to write :/

I definitely understand judges have long days. I have judged as well and I have extra paper on the side for notes for myself to remind myself what I saw. I credit their jobs and know it's tough.

I also thought maybe if she piked down even just a little they meant " be sure not to pike down" , but not the case.

I guess I wanted to clarify to make sure in level 4 judges aren't encouraging piking, for whatever reason.

Maybe they meant the comment to say "be sure not to pike down" in reference to a different pass? Otherwise, I cannot imagine what they meant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
exactly what I was thinking that the word NOT was omitted

Yep, pretty sure a NOT was left off and also I would guess the "basket was needs" probably was supposed to be "basket was nice". Also - most competitions require the head judge to stick around until all score sheets have been picked up. Make sure you read the comments and have a coach ask the head judge any questions about the comments - they should be able to provide clarification for you.

Back