Jump Tuck & Jump Back Handspring Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 9, 2011
Im working on my standing tumbling for level 4 and 5.. I'm a strong running tumbler but I'm all power so standing tumbling is not my thing. I don't get power out of standing back handsprings whatsoever.. What are some drills and tips for back handspring tucks and toe back handspring tucks? There was a point I could do back handspring tucks, and I'm probably still capable.. But I like to take a step to get some power. And I cant do that with jumps before it.

Also, I have a fairly solid standing tuck. I like to take a little step before it (just a mini one) but I don't HAVE to to land.. My coach told me to start working jump tucks. I've never been spotted on them. The thing I find difficult is taking it up before flipping. I've yet to do a real jump with it- just a straight jump. And I land on my knees. What are some drills for this?

Thanks in advance :)

Im working on my standing tumbling for level 4 and 5.. I'm a strong running tumbler but I'm all power so standing tumbling is not my thing. I don't get power out of standing back handsprings whatsoever.. What are some drills and tips for back handspring tucks and toe back handspring tucks? There was a point I could do back handspring tucks, and I'm probably still capable.. But I like to take a step to get some power. And I cant do that with jumps before it.

Also, I have a fairly solid standing tuck. I like to take a little step before it (just a mini one) but I don't HAVE to to land.. My coach told me to start working jump tucks. I've never been spotted on them. The thing I find difficult is taking it up before flipping. I've yet to do a real jump with it- just a straight jump. And I land on my knees. What are some drills for this?

that would be me too.. it sucks! standing tumbling is my weakness cause of it so i know where you're coming from! as far as bhs tucks & toe bhs tucks i can't help that much since it depends on my bhs.. some of them i can get power from others i can't so if i can the tuck is easy if it's not.. i pull & pray lol. i have a solid standing tuck though one thing i do to get height is lift hard through your shoulders it really makes a difference & gets you height! i love jump tucks! if you have a good jump or at least snap your feet together at the end you should get height from finishing the jump & use that for your tuck. straight jumps to tuck are almost harder lol i would honestly just go for the real jump & don't hold back really jump so you get that height at the end of it!

that would be me too.. it sucks! standing tumbling is my weakness cause of it so i know where you're coming from! as far as bhs tucks & toe bhs tucks i can't help that much since it depends on my bhs.. some of them i can get power from others i can't so if i can the tuck is easy if it's not.. i pull & pray lol. i have a solid standing tuck though one thing i do to get height is lift hard through your shoulders it really makes a difference & gets you height! i love jump tucks! if you have a good jump or at least snap your feet together at the end you should get height from finishing the jump & use that for your tuck. straight jumps to tuck are almost harder lol i would honestly just go for the real jump & don't hold back really jump so you get that height at the end of it!
Pull & Pray is my new motto. Love it lol:)

Have you ever tried taking a block and do handstand snap down back handsprings and do the same for your tucks?

if no then try it will teach you to block hard and to snap you legs through to give you the power you are missing from running tumbling. I have my kids do this before trying the skill so they know what to expect when they do that particular skill. good luck!

Have you ever tried taking a block and do handstand snap down back handsprings and do the same for your tucks?

if no then try it will teach you to block hard and to snap you legs through to give you the power you are missing from running tumbling. I have my kids do this before trying the skill so they know what to expect when they do that particular skill. good luck!

Thank you! I will try that!!!

Just updating :) I got my jump back handspring tuck.. It's not great but I can do it now! And I did jump tucks with my coach.. He said I have it but, when I do it by myself, I punch and flip instead of sitting, jumping, and setting.. Any tips?

I have the opposite problem -__- im not really sure why i can do standing and stink at running, i have often been told ur either one or the other maybe if u tell me how it is, or why u think running is easier u can help me. For me standing is easier, well at least this is why I think is easier, is because I feel like I can control it more. Like the main reason it seems simple to me and it sounds funny is because i have hops. Like the higher you can do ur jumps or jump in general the easier standing seems to be. Just my personal opinion. So maybe think more about getting more height in your prep b4 you go for your standing.

Really rebound off your toes and make sure you are jumping straigh up and really pushing off the ground. I to work on getting power I do handstand on a folding panel mat and snap down and do a back hand with a rebound, if you can get a solid backhand rebound then you can easily get a back hand tuck, hope that helps!

My issue with jump tucks at first was my sit. Make sure you are sitting with your shoulders over your knees, instead of a backhandspring sit (like you're in a chair.) This helps with height. Like said above, make sure you land your jump with your feet together. Maybe try taking a pause before tucking, then shortening that pause each time until its connected.

Back