Jumps To Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MyDaughterCheers

Cheer Parent
In Memoriam
Mar 27, 2011
My CP has asked me to ask all of you for tips on consistently landing her jumps to a tuck. She lands in practice, but in the routine is not landing as consistently. She says she is tired when she does them and throws herself back. Does anyone have any tips for her? Thanks so much!

If she has a solid standing tuck I would suggest her doing standing tuck up onto a pannel mat. Star off slow and increase the height as she progresses.

Doing 8's is also a great way to condition, and improve your tucks. Star on one side of the floor and sprint to the other side and when you get to the other side you do 1 standing tuck run back to the start (its kind of like suicides) and then run back to the 2nd farthest line do 2 tucks, run back and forth to and from each line. Increasing how many standing tucks you do until you get to 8. Sounds pretty simple but really helps. One last suggestion is for her to always do her jumps to back, even when she doesnt have to and is just marking the routine. It will help her build up her stamina.

Thanks for the tips! She does have a solid standing tuck. I'm going to have her read all of the comments, so I appreciate your help.

Have her practice doing the jump sequence with the tuck when she is tired. For example, have her do running tumbling and then immediately do the jumps after. Or run 2 laps and then do the jumps. It's all about conditioning them cause she can do them! Her muscles just tire out. She needs to work them up to the point where they are easily able to push through the jumps. Tell her goodluck and not to give up!! :) hard work pays off!

Ditto to the conditioning comments above, that's the most important. And also remember to push through toes!

Make sure she's getting her feet back together in the jumps before she sets for the tuck. Bend and set hard past your ears and don't throw your head

If she has a solid standing tuck I would suggest her doing standing tuck up onto a pannel mat. Star off slow and increase the height as she progresses.

Doing 8's is also a great way to condition, and improve your tucks. Star on one side of the floor and sprint to the other side and when you get to the other side you do 1 standing tuck run back to the start (its kind of like suicides) and then run back to the 2nd farthest line do 2 tucks, run back and forth to and from each line. Increasing how many standing tucks you do until you get to 8. Sounds pretty simple but really helps. One last suggestion is for her to always do her jumps to back, even when she doesnt have to and is just marking the routine. It will help her build up her stamina.
This is completely true. She might feel awkward being the only one doing it. But it absolutely pays off! I do mine every single time when we mark the routine, and now it is honestly my favorite part, because I feel like I own the skill now =)

This is completely true. She might feel awkward being the only one doing it. But it absolutely pays off! I do mine every single time when we mark the routine, and now it is honestly my favorite part, because I feel like I own the skill now =)

Im like you in the sense that I always go full out no matter what. I rather be tired at practice than be worried on the floor.

Jumps to tucks were quite possibly the hardest skill for my CP to master. (Growing spurts didn't help) But she did work on them for forever. Followed very closely by the 2 to full. Never thought she'd get that one.

Good luck to your CP she will get them, tell her not to worry! Just keep working hard like I know she is, And I agree with the ones that say throw them every single time. Even when marking the routine or just doing certain parts of the routine.

definitely do all of the condition mentioned, but remind her that TECHNIQUE is key, especially when tired. So she has to remember all the steps every time, instead of having the mindset of just throwing it!

Turn on cheer music or have someone count and do a tuck on every one count (bend 1 tuck 2 land 3 stand 4 hold 5-6-7-8, repeat) start with two in a row and work your way up to 10... Really helps with the tuck technique and being able to throw when your tired, even if it doesn't have a jump in front of it...

For kids having stamina stamina issues we generally have them throw all their tumbling skills very quickly in tumbling class... For example I had a girl yesterday on our youth level two team in a tumbling class. She competes a specialty standing tumbling pass, jump sequence *pause* BHS, power hurdle round off back handspring, and a front walkover round off 3 back handsprings, so in her class she started at the front of the floor did her specialty pass, walked back up did the jumps, turned around and did the power hurdle, then immediately went to the corner for the front walkover pass.... She did all of that 5 times in about 8 minutes... Took a water break and did it again... If your child does that in their tumbling class for a few weeks, combined with throwing it every time at practice I doubt she will have any problems

Turn on cheer music or have someone count and do a tuck on every one count (bend 1 tuck 2 land 3 stand 4 hold 5-6-7-8, repeat) start with two in a row and work your way up to 10... Really helps with the tuck technique and being able to throw when your tired, even if it doesn't have a jump in front of it...

For kids having stamina stamina issues we generally have them throw all their tumbling skills very quickly in tumbling class... For example I had a girl yesterday on our youth level two team in a tumbling class. She competes a specialty standing tumbling pass, jump sequence *pause* BHS, power hurdle round off back handspring, and a front walkover round off 3 back handsprings, so in her class she started at the front of the floor did her specialty pass, walked back up did the jumps, turned around and did the power hurdle, then immediately went to the corner for the front walkover pass.... She did all of that 5 times in about 8 minutes... Took a water break and did it again... If your child does that in their tumbling class for a few weeks, combined with throwing it every time at practice I doubt she will have any problems

I remember Roger doing this to my daughter when she was on Teal, when she came to Rays she struggled to land 10 standing tucks in a row. She worked really hard before tryouts and was able to land triple toe tuck, although I called them triple straddle jump tuck, but she NEVER busted a triple toe tuck in routine from all the conditioning she did with them there. She will tell you to this day that although she HATED when yall turned that music on and they had to do all those tucks that in the end it was the best thing and it paid off. :)

Back