All-Star Kick Double Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 15, 2011
I was going to post this under the skills section but I figured I'd get more help here.

A flyer on my team is supposed to be doing a kick double for her basket. What are the correct techniques to do one? She can double out of regular stunts and she's very flexible she just doesn't know how to do one correctly. So any advice would be helpful as I could pass it on to her.

Have her try this drill!
1. The first step is a show and go stretch (on the opposite leg of course, cuz that's what she'll be kicking with)
2. Next, when the group does she show and go, she'll kick the stretch and then she'll twist her hips a little, put her arms in her left pocket, and tuck her chin in on the way down.
3. After that, she'll do a twist. So pretty much a show and go stretch single, I guess.
4. Then a double once that's good.

A lot of girls do this at my gym and it seems to help a lot! I'm really bad at explaining but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Have her try this drill!
1. The first step is a show and go stretch (on the opposite leg of course, cuz that's what she'll be kicking with)
2. Next, when the group does she show and go, she'll kick the stretch and then she'll twist her hips a little, put her arms in her left pocket, and tuck her chin in on the way down.
3. After that, she'll do a twist. So pretty much a show and go stretch single, I guess.
4. Then a double once that's good.

A lot of girls do this at my gym and it seems to help a lot! I'm really bad at explaining but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.
when you say show n go do you mean like throw the basket? or an actual show and go like one legged style?

when you say show n go do you mean like throw the basket? or an actual show and go like one legged style?
Yeah, an actual show and go from one leg. But of course when she starts twisting they have to let go at the top and then catch her in a cradle.
I guess you could kinda picture it like throwing a basket from a one-legged grip.

Yeah, an actual show and go from one leg. But of course when she starts twisting they have to let go at the top and then catch her in a cradle.
I guess you could kinda picture it like throwing a basket from a one-legged grip.
okay i get it now, I'll have them try it today at practice thanks a lot :)

okay i get it now, I'll have them try it today at practice thanks a lot :)

i recommend doing them on the trampoline or off a tumble track into a resse mat or whatever its called. of course you wont get the height but you will get the feel of the skill

we use the show n go drill at stealth! works great! we also do it as a trophy drill instead of a show'n'go, with a coach holding the ankles of the flyer, acting as a front spot and aiding in the kick and twist until they are comfortable. however, i learned by trial and error. i was told to ride with my left arm, then kick with an open hip (to make a big circle with your foot), when i kick i switch arms, so my left arm is by my side and my right arm reaching up. for the twist you wrap your arm hip and leg over your body. the arm switch thing is how i do kick kick and hitch kick doubles, so i keep it the same in my straight kick doubles. hope that helped! =)

Back