All-Star Kicked off the team- who was in the wrong?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A

Anonymous

Little background on our open NT level 6 team- brand new team & division for our gym, mostly adults (retired or never stunted before), team was made spontaneously overnight. Many women on this team have never been to this gym or worked with eachother. Some were brand new to stunting and never did it or many haven’t done it in 10 years. It was a revolving door of women coming and leaving from the start.

After a few practices, we had our choreography camp. The guest choreographer was not liked by the coach or the owner, but we didn’t have any other choice other than waiting until December for another choreographer. This choreographer has a negative reputation in the cheer world from sexual abuse allegations and arrests for domestic violence & attempted murder. I don’t think he was allowed in ANY gym.

Anyways, we were warned about this man from our coach, and were told to “shut up and do whatever he says” whether we’ve stunted before or not. He was forcing us to do Worlds level pyramid skills without any progressions and immediately women were getting severely hurt- multiple broken bones and I personally sustained a concussion from not being caught in the pyramid- I did a back tuck in the pyramid and was caught by my feet and the bracer fell onto my head and neck at the same time, I went face first into the floor and passed out.

After 20 minutes of ice, I was told to go back in the routine for the dance. Reluctantly I agreed. The choreographer continued to bully us throughout the dance section (despite my face bleeding and concussion) and eventually I calmly confronted him. He was frustrated I was not comprehending the dance portion. I respectfully said I refuse to do any more being injured. That night I was terminated from the team for saying no to him. I talked to the gym owner and she was horrified to hear about what happened to us injured, but she’s also standing by the coach’s decision at the same time. Who’s in the wrong here?

Little background on our open NT level 6 team- brand new team & division for our gym, mostly adults (retired or never stunted before), team was made spontaneously overnight. Many women on this team have never been to this gym or worked with eachother. Some were brand new to stunting and never did it or many haven’t done it in 10 years. It was a revolving door of women coming and leaving from the start.

After a few practices, we had our choreography camp. The guest choreographer was not liked by the coach or the owner, but we didn’t have any other choice other than waiting until December for another choreographer. This choreographer has a negative reputation in the cheer world from sexual abuse allegations and arrests for domestic violence & attempted murder. I don’t think he was allowed in ANY gym.

Anyways, we were warned about this man from our coach, and were told to “shut up and do whatever he says” whether we’ve stunted before or not. He was forcing us to do Worlds level pyramid skills without any progressions and immediately women were getting severely hurt- multiple broken bones and I personally sustained a concussion from not being caught in the pyramid- I did a back tuck in the pyramid and was caught by my feet and the bracer fell onto my head and neck at the same time, I went face first into the floor and passed out.

After 20 minutes of ice, I was told to go back in the routine for the dance. Reluctantly I agreed. The choreographer continued to bully us throughout the dance section (despite my face bleeding and concussion) and eventually I calmly confronted him. He was frustrated I was not comprehending the dance portion. I respectfully said I refuse to do any more being injured. That night I was terminated from the team for saying no to him. I talked to the gym owner and she was horrified to hear about what happened to us injured, but she’s also standing by the coach’s decision at the same time. Who’s in the wrong here?
you passed out and were told to go back in??...... Coached warned you but still brought him in? You are lucky you were not hurt permanently!!!! Stay away from this toxic environment!!!!

Those allegations alone are enough to basically tell us who it is.. Can't believe owners are letting him back in their gyms. Disgusting.

I know that this is an extreme case, but a large problem in cheerleading comes from the lack of recognition of injuries or, frankly, the lack of care. I'm glad for you that you're out of that situation honestly, because none of those figures of power (the choreographer, coach and gym owner) cared about your safety or the safety of your teammates. The coach and gym owner are just as bad as the choreographer in this situation for not intervening in clearly unsafe and possibly deadly behaviour. You are only in the wrong for "going along with it" for that long, its 100% on the coaches and gym owner in this situation. The second someone is injured so severely that bones are broken is when someone should have spoken up.

I remember the first year our gym did a 4.2 team, and it consisted of athletes from level 1, 2, and half year. It was non-stop injuries even after the coaches backed off ratios and skills needed to max out the score sheet. Those athletes didn't have the strength, skill, or stamina to make that kind of jump. I can't imagine having a team of people that has not stunted at all, or in several years, and expect them to accomplish level 6 stunts.
Consider yourself blessed to be out of the situation.

I remember the first year our gym did a 4.2 team, and it consisted of athletes from level 1, 2, and half year. It was non-stop injuries even after the coaches backed off ratios and skills needed to max out the score sheet. Those athletes didn't have the strength, skill, or stamina to make that kind of jump. I can't imagine having a team of people that has not stunted at all, or in several years, and expect them to accomplish level 6 stunts.
Consider yourself blessed to be out of the situation.
This!! Alarm bells were ringing when I read the start of the original post that inexperienced athletes were expected to do level 6 stunts, even before the situation with the choreographer, which absolutely should not have been allowed to happen. You are well off out of this situation OP.

This choreographer hasn't been to many gyms recently, and I can probably guess what program/location you were at from the identifying information you've provided. So just be aware that people can figure out the program - even if you aren't directly saying the name.

This entire situation is the gym's fault, and as an athlete, you are much better off not being tied/associated with that program and given the situation description.

Back