OT Kony 2012- Make Him Famous

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 14, 2009
I am often amazed at the boards capability to rally behind a cause. We have helped each other around the globe to have a chance at winning new uniforms, money for equipment, the chance to bring our sport into the public eye (in a positive light), and give them support when fighting disease or grieving death. It is time to ask you to join a cause that has recently come to my attention, and one that everyone across the globe can rally behind.

It is called Kony 2012. If you don't know who Kony is, now is the time to google and learn.

This video explains the movement. Share it with your friends. Share it with facebook. Share it on twitter. We are capable of powerful change. Let's use that power to conquer deplorable evil.

please don't take this offensively (because i posted something about this on Facebook that made some people angry) but i've spent the past 2 years researching the topic of human trafficking. i spent last year's spring break working with an organization called Not For Sale in California. Child and sex trafficking happens EVERYWHERE, including in the US. (estimated between 15000-17000 in the US every year). While it's great that attention is being brought to this topic, Invisible Children is an organization that has a lot of controversy. Firstly, Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army have not been seen in Uganda since 2006. that's 6 years. yes, he is a very bad person and should be brought to justice, but donating money to invisible children isn't going to do it. Most of their money goes to traveling and filmmaking. the filmmakers make almost $90,000 a year. only 32% of the money goes to aid. they have also never been audited by an outside accountant, which sends up a red flag. Invisible children also supports the Ugandan Army and the Sudan People's Liberation Army, which also use forms of rape, etc. in their military tactics.

this video provides awareness, which is wonderful. but it is also misleading. i hate that this organization is getting so much attention, because i think it will lead people not to believe what is going on with trafficking. the subject is very real, and all over. but, like with any non profit, you should look into the organization before making any kind of donation. if you feel strongly about this topic, i suggest checking out organizations such as the Not For Sale Campaign or Free The Slaves, which are much more transparent with their financial situations. I have personally met David Batstone and Kevin Bales and they do amazing work. feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Not talking about on here, because people actually care on the boards, but over half the kids at my school know about this because it's almost like a pop culture thing. They are all on the bandwagon because it's the new thing on twitter which they seem to worship like it's the figure of a new religion. Every sentence out of their mouths is "oh, i saw that on twitter. on twitter last night. #thatawkwardmoment i got that from twitter." and kony is no exception to this, all they need to do is say "pound sign" before anything they say. Once it's not trending on twitter they'll forget because of the latest drama.

please don't take this offensively (because i posted something about this on Facebook that made some people angry) but i've spent the past 2 years researching the topic of human trafficking. i spent last year's spring break working with an organization called Not For Sale in California. Child and sex trafficking happens EVERYWHERE, including in the US. (estimated between 15000-17000 in the US every year). While it's great that attention is being brought to this topic, Invisible Children is an organization that has a lot of controversy. Firstly, Joseph Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army have not been seen in Uganda since 2006. that's 6 years. yes, he is a very bad person and should be brought to justice, but donating money to invisible children isn't going to do it. Most of their money goes to traveling and filmmaking. the filmmakers make almost $90,000 a year. only 32% of the money goes to aid. they have also never been audited by an outside accountant, which sends up a red flag. Invisible children also supports the Ugandan Army and the Sudan People's Liberation Army, which also use forms of rape, etc. in their military tactics.

this video provides awareness, which is wonderful. but it is also misleading. i hate that this organization is getting so much attention, because i think it will lead people not to believe what is going on with trafficking. the subject is very real, and all over. but, like with any non profit, you should look into the organization before making any kind of donation. if you feel strongly about this topic, i suggest checking out organizations such as the Not For Sale Campaign or Free The Slaves, which are much more transparent with their financial situations. I have personally met David Batstone and Kevin Bales and they do amazing work. feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)
Thanks for that info. A few years ago, I took a Women's Studies class in college, and my project for the semester was actually on human trafficking. I remember reading something how events like the Superbowl are some instances of the highest amount of human trafficking in the US...totally creeped me out. Also has given me a sad spot in my heart for places like Eastern Europe (where trafficking is high).

I actually didn't donate, and I don't plan to. What I found so captivating was the concept that people all over the world could unite together to be made aware of something (which I had no idea about-Invisible Children was never something that came to my school or I'd even heard about until a week ago), and put pressure on the government to stop it. Most people's biggest criticism is that he's not in Uganda anymore- but if you watch the video, they mention that and even put it in map form (yay pictures!). Even still, I saw KONY2012 on youtube and had no idea what it was, so I googled it. Now suddenly I'm informed. A little late, perhaps, but at least aware. Also, in terms of 'Well he was active 6 years ago, why care now?' I don't know about anyone else, but if someone mutilated/raped/killed someone in my family, I don't care that it's been 6 years I'd want that *sifduosjfsdjfsldjf* dead as dirt, as well as his accomplices. Same reason why we're not letting out Charles Manson...

I know some people think that throwing mindless aid at a problem isn't going to solve it, and I agree. I'd much rather be able to send something I know is useful (although some people even say care packages can be misused in various capacities-can't remember the details), or personally go myself and build stuff like schools. Or just do Red Cross who tends to be universally the safe option.

Back