College Let's Be Realistic?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 4, 2015
Okay, so I'm new and I know I risk being chastised for asking such a newb question, but I don't know where else to ask as I don't have any cheerleader friends.

I'm twenty. I haven't cheered for a very long time, and when I did it was rec. I'm now in a position to throw myself into tumbling/stunting privates 2-3 a week (combined, not each) and I have until May to prep. I need a bhs, standing tuck, and bhs tuck for tumbling and a full up, double down, and full down for stunting - I'm very obviously not a flyer so at least I don't have to worry about that. They suggest fulls and layouts, too. The gym I'd be taking privates at doesn't do traditional level classes, instead their bhs classes, tuck classes, then elite classes... if that makes a difference. Jumps aren't required.

I know you can't tell me how fast I'll learn, truthfully, neither can I. I've never stepped foot in a cheer gym, but this has been a life long goal and now that I'm able to take control of it and really push myself I'm more motivated than ever. But if you're like, "you have a better chance of going to the moon" than I'll have to trust that.

Okay, so I'm new and I know I risk being chastised for asking such a newb question, but I don't know where else to ask as I don't have any cheerleader friends.

I'm twenty. I haven't cheered for a very long time, and when I did it was rec. I'm now in a position to throw myself into tumbling/stunting privates 2-3 a week (combined, not each) and I have until May to prep. I need a bhs, standing tuck, and bhs tuck for tumbling and a full up, double down, and full down for stunting - I'm very obviously not a flyer so at least I don't have to worry about that. They suggest fulls and layouts, too. The gym I'd be taking privates at doesn't do traditional level classes, instead their bhs classes, tuck classes, then elite classes... if that makes a difference. Jumps aren't required.

I know you can't tell me how fast I'll learn, truthfully, neither can I. I've never stepped foot in a cheer gym, but this has been a life long goal and now that I'm able to take control of it and really push myself I'm more motivated than ever. But if you're like, "you have a better chance of going to the moon" than I'll have to trust that.
Sweetheart, nobody will say you have a better chance at the moon. If they do then they're a**holes. We don't know you.
However, 'you have a better chance at the moon', the moon's a GOOD thing. Hence, 'Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars'. Actually, if they say that, take it as a positive thing! Because we STRIVE TO REACH THE MOON. Get it?
Anyhow, you'll be fine. Don't push yourself to the point of injury or anything. That doesn't mean you're old, even 15 year olds push themselves to injury. Not a good thing, but happens in all ages.
And since you're extremely motivated and excited, you have an even better chance of success. I'm just starting too, but I have a lot of passion and already can do a self-taught back walkover. Not trying to brag, but to show what you can do with motivation.
I encourage you to try. You'll have a blast! Even if you don't make it the first time, there's still times to make it again.
And you have such a negative tone!! Be excited, you're doing cheer, which you always wanted to do! Be happy! :)

Anything is possible if you commit yourself. The best advice I can give someone like you is to condition. A big part of cheer that is overlooked is the conditioning. I suggest doing some conditioning on the days you don't have privates. It will really put you on the fast track to what you want. At your privates I would ask the coach what conditioning or drills you can do at home. If you're apart of a gym/fitness center, you can ask the coach what machines will help you with your goal. I swear it will only help you. If you're body is conditioned, the tumbling will come faster.

Best of luck! I hope all goes well! :)

I feel like it came off completely negative when in reality I'm super excited! I've never been in a position where it even seemed possible but I love this school so much & I'm very eager to start.

Thank you for responding!! I'll keep you guys posted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of team do you want to try out for? Because if it is a team that also does sideline cheer there is more than just the tumbling and stunting skills that you'll need.
Also: find out where the current team members are at skills-wise. Some schools have tucks as their tryout requirement, but in reality the majority of the team has fulls and standing tucks. If you find out now, you know where you have to be at skills-wise at tryout.
And I second the recommendation of a lot of conditioning. It will save you a lot of money/frustration during your classes.

What kind of team do you want to try out for? Because if it is a team that also does sideline cheer there is more than just the tumbling and stunting skills that you'll need.
Also: find out where the current team members are at skills-wise. Some schools have tucks as their tryout requirement, but in reality the majority of the team has fulls and standing tucks. If you find out now, you know where you have to be at skills-wise at tryout.
And I second the recommendation of a lot of conditioning. It will save you a lot of money/frustration during your classes.

By conditioning do you mean regular exercising and stretching or specifics? I've been doing a lot of running for endurance and just recently started my arms/core/legs.

They do cheer game day and compete at UCA nationals. I've never watched them at a game, unfortunately, but I watched their nationals video to see what they did and I believe they only did standing tucks and bhs tucks. I'll double check though.

What do you mean game-day skills? I've been practicing my motions but is there more I can do?

They're having a stunt clinic in about a month and then another in spring closer to tryouts, too.. Thankfully :)

I feel like it came off completely negative when in reality I'm super excited! I've never been in a position where it even seemed possible but I love this school so much & I'm very eager to start.

Thank you for responding!! I'll keep you guys posted :)

Lol, many of my texts are like that. My messages seem oh-so-negative when in reality they're filled with joy. When you're not talking in person you're unable to detect the tone of the text, because texts don't carry a tone. I wish they did, though, lol. :)

By conditioning do you mean regular exercising and stretching or specifics? I've been doing a lot of running for endurance and just recently started my arms/core/legs.

They do cheer game day and compete at UCA nationals. I've never watched them at a game, unfortunately, but I watched their nationals video to see what they did and I believe they only did standing tucks and bhs tucks. I'll double check though.

What do you mean game-day skills? I've been practicing my motions but is there more I can do?

They're having a stunt clinic in about a month and then another in spring closer to tryouts, too.. Thankfully :)

Practicing things such as spiriting, like when you'd run out on to the field or while you're up in a stunt. Sounds silly but it can be awkward at first.

Try and get a pair of poms and some makeshift signs so you can practice using those as well as they are huge on game day! If you're not comfortable with poms it can be weird at first to use during stunts and tumbling and in general. Practice yelling some cheers (or just really anything) with a smile on your face. That can be kind of weird at first too if you're not used to smiling all the time and sometimes the first faces you make can look angry not happy (I've seen that with the rec team I used to coach)

Dig in and be prepared to put in work.
That work will get rewarded but the journey isn't easy, espec when it comes to tumbling at age 20.

Give it your all though, and the worst that can happen is that you tried.

If you become a beast Backspot/Base they may be able to utilize you on the team, even if you don't reach those tumbling goals by May.

Practicing things such as spiriting, like when you'd run out on to the field or while you're up in a stunt. Sounds silly but it can be awkward at first.

Try and get a pair of poms and some makeshift signs so you can practice using those as well as they are huge on game day! If you're not comfortable with poms it can be weird at first to use during stunts and tumbling and in general. Practice yelling some cheers (or just really anything) with a smile on your face. That can be kind of weird at first too if you're not used to smiling all the time and sometimes the first faces you make can look angry not happy (I've seen that with the rec team I used to coach)

I'm really glad you brought up spiriting! That's one of the only things I was unsure of. What should I do? I know hs vs college spiriting is different & I watched UCF's tryout video to get ideas but I'd like to know more!

I'm really glad you brought up spiriting! That's one of the only things I was unsure of. What should I do? I know hs vs college spiriting is different & I watched UCF's tryout video to get ideas but I'd like to know more!

I made a video on this a while back. It has some good links in it. IDK whether you'll find it helpful, but it's worth a shot!

College is very much more relaxed than HS. Chants are school based, not sport or activity based. Cheers are rarely performed. Dances are rare, and same with jumps. College cheer is about getting your crowd involved and on their feet to support the team, some schools need the help and others just need a little push

Im in pretty much the same boat as you tumbling wise. I was only ever able to do a subpar cartwheel, and recently just started tumbling with my college team. Most of the girls on the team are the same way. But after just one team tumbling class, I was able to get more confident in my back walkover, which i had never done by myself before, and started learning the basics of a backhandspring. Im around your age, and I agree with what everyone else is saying, it is a lot of work, and I made sure i stretched my back and kept up my core strength over the summer, but I feel like getting a back handspring is a completely reachable goal. I have a feeling by the end of the fall semester, many of the girls on my team, including myself will be throwing them alone. :) Best of luck to you and be sure to keep us updated with your progress!

Latest posts

Back