Life Changing Decisions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

aggie1983

Cheer Parent
Feb 20, 2011
This may come across as preachy, but I just felt compelled to put this out here. I realize it applies to us all, but I am especially speaking to our young drivers. One bad decision can change everything. A young man I know of was at a party and chose to participate in huffing. He then chose to get in his truck and drive recklessly. As a result, a six year old little girl is dead and a three year old little boy is permanently paralyzed from the neck down. That family is changed forever. The driver (16 yrs old) will be tried as an adult because of the DUI. He is potentially facing many years in prison. But aside from the tragic consequences to the family he hit, he has also in all probability destroyed his family as well. Aside from the grief he has brought them for what he is facing and what he did to another family, his parents have been told they will be sued for millions. Everything his parents have worked their lives for will probably be forfeit because of one evening's bad decisions. Did he intend to hurt anyone that night, of course not. But it doesn't change the fact that he has forever altered many peoples lives, none for the better. I have discussed this with my three young drivers, please never forget the power of that huge machine you are driving. And for heaven's sakes, don't drink and drive and don't use illegal substances and drive. I just can't get this out of my mind........

I am a college student, and I can admit there have been plenty of times where I chose to stay where I was for the night rather then drive impaired, or get in the car with someone who shouldn't be driving. I think I can thank my parents for really stressing to me not to drive after drinking or anything else, even when I was in high school they said they rather have me call and tell I had been drinking then try to drive. Yes they would be disappointed in me for drinking, but they rather pick me up from where ever I was, cause if I drove there was a good possibly they would be picking me up from jail or worse from the hospital. In high school my best friend lost one of his good friends to drinking and driving, and I saw how bad it tore him up, I wouldnt wanna do that to my friends and family. I also cant imagine getting behind the wheel when I knew I wasn't in the right state of mind, getting into an accident and taking someones life. That guilt that I would have to deal with the rest of my life and I don't know how I would handle it.

Also prayers for the family of those children, I cant even imagine what they are going through.

I think I can probably speak for every parent on here when I say I am in complete agreement with what your parents told you. We have told our kids the same, if you do something foolish and need us to come get you, chances are the fact that you called will go far in diminishing the consequences of whatever you did wrong. I've also told them if they want to paint me as the biggest witch on the face of the earth to their friends in order to justify not doing something for fear of my wrath....go right ahead. I will happily take that label if it makes it easier for them to say no to something.

I know a lot of times teens and young adults just KNOW nothing will happen. Little Razzi and I had a talk a few months ago about that. Before September, she KNEW a hurricane and an earthquake wouldn't affect us, within the same week. But she found out that even the most unbelievable things can, and do, happen.
My prayers for all the families affected by this.

This thread should be in every sub forum on here

Reactions: VTX
Back