Looking For A Variety Of Opinions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 13, 2017
Hi there. I am not really new here. I have been reading along for years but never really have anything to say so have not made an account until now. I would love to hear a variety of feedback and opinions on what YOU would do. I am trying to see if my thoughts are way out of line with the majority or within the realm of reasonable, so I want to compare to what all of you would do.
The year before this season that just ended my daughter started at a new gym as her small gym had gone out of business. She had cheered at the other gym for a year and a half as a y2 and sr3coed team member. At the new larger gym she was a j3. It was a big change to a larger place but the year went well. By December of that year she had mastered her lvl 4 tumbling and was starting on lvl 5 skills. She was happy and by tryouts that Spring she was very confident in her lvl 4 tryout. She had aged out of youth that year and ultimately the gym decided not to field a lvl 4 team in her age group- at least initially. After various parental threats(not from me- from other families) to leave the gym a lvl 4 was cobbled together. She was bitterly disappointed not to be asked to be on the team, especially as she watched those without the necessary skills be asked onto the team based on friendships and other things. I felt she dodged a bullet, as the team was not competitive in the least and that much struggle surely must get kids down. While she seemed to get over the disappointment in placement, the team she was placed on was NOT a good match for her. I watched as her self esteem and confidence began to dwindle. I rarely saw her smile and her spark for cheer seemed to be gone. Skills she'd had disappeared- at least whenever she was in that gym. When we went to clinics or opens with friends at other gyms her solid beautiful tumbling was there as usual. Red flags went up for me and I asked her if everything was ok- she always insisted it was. I made her coaches aware that she was tumbling elsewhere but not here and they were on a whole disinterested. I asked if they had suggestions for helping her over this hump and they again were completely disinterested. I asked my daughter if she felt supported and encouraged at the gym and she says she did/does. I chalked it up to a temporary block and just let her be. When tryouts came she did nothing to prepare. I asked if she still wanted to cheer and she insisted she did, but something was/is very different. She barely took part in tryouts and did just a few lvl 3 tumbling skills- not even all of them...no lvl 4 at all. She had told me she wanted a lvl 4 team this year so I found it odd that she behaved this way. I asked her about it and she said there was nothing to bother with- they would not have a lvl 4 team that would include her no matter what she did and that really she just couldn't tumble at all when she was there and she didn't know why. She burst into tears. I suggested that maybe she wanted to take a little time off and think about what she wanted to do...cheer, just tumble...find another gym. She cried more. I believe she passionately wants to cheer. I believe she does not want to leave her friends (the ones that moved with us to the new gym and the one she has made since). I believe these 2 facts make a HUGE conflict for her as I do NOT believe the current gym is a good match for my child, and I think she feels that.

In my mind cheer should teach you to self advocate, work as a team, commit, handle pressure, build self esteem and confidence, and when it stops doing all those things it is the wrong place/sport for you. I believe we have hit that point. The other thing cheer gives you is some very special friendships- and she HAS those. I want this gym to be that awesome place for her, but it doesn't seem to be so. SO- what would you do-value the friendships as more important than anything else and just plug along? Do you hold out hoping things will get better? Let her decide even though she says she can't? Make the decision as a parent that this is too detrimental to your child and move her? Something else? I am going round and round in my mind...and with her I just keep giving her options and asking for feedback. It all feels just too negative.

The name totally threw me (@Just-a-Mom ) but @JustAMom I am sorry to hear what your daughter is struggling with (as well as you).

I would either suggest a trial run at another gym or a hiatus from cheer entirely if she balks at the idea of going to another gym. She sounds unhappy and defeated with where she is, and from what you have described seems to have the potential to be doing more with her skills if given the recognition she feels she is lacking. Cheer friendships, which often form fast and furious because of the amount of time they spend together, often fizzle just as fast once an athlete leaves a gym - unless it is a true friendship, in which case the support will be there regardless of the place your daughter cheers.

We spend too much time and money with cheer for our kids to be unhappy, especially with the reasons you have outlined for your daughter. It sounds like she would be better off in a new environment and allow her skills to speak for themselves at tryouts.

All that being said - you did say you asked her and her response was that she wanted to stay. If you truly feel staying is detrimental to her mind, body and soul, then trust your gut and pull the parent card. I left our first gym with one kid wanting to go and the younger one kicking and screaming because she was still happy there. She survived the change, is still cheering, and is still friends with a few girls from her very first team. Good luck with whatever you decide!

If you truly feel staying is detrimental to her mind, body and soul, then trust your gut and pull the parent card.

I completely agree with this and based on what you wrote (below), if it were my daughter I think the time has come to pull that card.
I watched as her self esteem and confidence began to dwindle. I rarely saw her smile and her spark for cheer seemed to be gone. Skills she'd had disappeared

I made her coaches aware that she was tumbling elsewhere but not here and they were on a whole disinterested.
While she is not saying it with her words, every other form of communication tells me she is not thriving nor is she happy. Perhaps try one of the other gyms where she has been tumbling?

Here's the thing- I don't care what she does skillwise. That is for her to decide. She has to set goals and work to achieve. My job is simply to provide her the tools to do so (gym time, classes, etc). If she had not said she wanted a level 4 team (not when asked, she just talked about it) I would not have thought twice about her performance at tryouts. It is all the other things that have my mind running. I realized after 2 years there the coaches know absolutely NOTHING about who she is...and that is really sad to me. A coach should take a little interest in you.

I realized after 2 years there the coaches know absolutely NOTHING about who she is...and that is really sad to me. A coach should take a little interest in you.
Yes, agree!
Here's the thing- I don't care what she does skillwise.
I do not think your post came across as if you are overly concerned with her level, skills obtained etc. You did come across as being concerned that she is regressing, bitterly disappointed in placements, and with coaches that are either unaware or unconcerned with her distress. Do you have other options in the area?

The other option is a considerable drive. I don't want cheer to eat her life as I think that will make her hate something she once loved and I fear the drive might make it feel that way. I have contacted the other gym and will take her for a private tryout this week. At least then we have options to consider.

Ok small background story really quick, I'm a dancer as well as a cheerleader, have been since I was 5. I've always loved it and believe me I have a serious passion for the sport. I had been at the same studio since I started dance, started competing at 8, basically I grew up there. At the time of this situation my best friends were at the studio with me, I loved the owner like she was my second mother (to this day she continues to be that and supported my decision to leave in the end). About a month before I quit I started joining in with the adult class as we were learning our opening and one of my teachers started singling me out for no reason. It started to carry over into my normal classes and into my teammates heads, they would say things like, everyone except you, laugh at me, leave me out of conversations and I was basically an outsider in my second home. No one showed any intrest in me anymore. Despite having a great season skill wise, my dancing started to decline pretty fast in class (but remained the same outside of the studio) and I was crying in the car on the way home from practices. The night before my last concert, my mum convinced me to take a year off.

At first, I was devastated. I love dance and at the time I felt like that studio was where I needed to be because I just couldn't deal with not being a dancer. I lost so many tears over it but have since started dance again in a new environment. I cannot tell you how much happier I am now that I can love the sport again without being afraid of practices and my new coaches who are fantastic. Even though your cp's situation is different to mine, and it seems like there is nothing going on with team mates, I would suggest it might be beneficial to talk through it with her. Maybe trial at a different gym? Changing the program I dance with has changed my life and I've grown so much as an athlete in the last few years (also started cheer in this time), more than I did in 8+ years at a studio that wasn't the right fit.

Sorry for the long story, I really hope this helps. Best of luck to you and your cp :)

Without getting into details, the team was a disaster in terms of teammate relations. Many of the young women on the team were disrespectful to the coaches and their teammates. Unfortunately their parents were just as negative as well. As I believe this is just a case of bad apples spoiling the whole bunch I am trying not to give that too much weight. However neither the coaches nor owners did much to correct the problems.

I thought about the situation a lot overnight. Her teammates didn't support her. Her coaches don't believe in her or frankly have any thoughts about possibilities or strengths with her. She just fills a space. When two of her friends did not come to tryouts (they had school events so planned on and informed the owners they would be at "makeup tryouts" the next night) coaches were texting them. I don't think they would even have noticed my daughter was not there. IF they had they would have been relieved they didn't have to have her on a team. I suppose since she really wants to be at that gym I could take my concerns to the owners, but I did that last season when parents and kids were telling mine she was the worst person on the team and should go away and nothing changed.

Dear Lord, run, don't walk, away from that toxic environment, for your own mental health if nothing else. We are at a large gym, but OMG...I literally cannot fathom ANYTHING like what happened to your cp EVER happening here. Well, I suppose it might happen once. And then the kids who were bullying your cp would be gone, and the coaches would be retrained or counseled or fired. Our gym is very much athlete-centered....they truly care about each & every child in the joint! And you & your cp deserve that same treatment. No child should be treated that way. Heartbreaking.

Whether she takes a year off or goes with another gym, I agree with others she needs to leave here. You are paying them a lot of money for emotional turmoil, unhappiness, and maybe keeping a few friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I could have written this post a couple of years ago. I did the mistake of letting CP stay a year too long at a gym that almost destroyed her. I will always regret the damage skill wise and emotionally that came from staying the extra year. I still see the wounds surface at times. The fear and self doubt that started from back then.

I knew in my heart that quitting was not right. The little cheerleader who lived for the sport from the day she saw it on television was still there under the sadness. I told her she could quit if she wanted to, but first she had to tumble and check out two other "local" gyms just to make sure that she wouldn't like to transfer there. I was not sure what would happen, but figured I had to try.

It was Worlds week when we walked into what was to become our new gym. She saw the final run thru of a team that was destined to win the globe that weekend and I could see a spark ignite . She immediately connected with a coach who eventually evaluated her and she was placed on a team where the other two coaches have eventually become family . Long story short , switching gyms was the best thing that could ever happen. I think quitting would have not given my cp a way to overcome. Thankfully, we ended up exactly where she needed to be. Hopefully, you will find a place similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Seems to me you are trying to rationalize staying in a toxic situation because your CP has friends there. No way would I let her stay given the apparent damage it is doing to her confidence and mental state. She will make new friends at a new gym, or outside cheer if that's what it takes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to say this- I don't think the coaches knew WHAT to do with the attitude on that team. The vocal minority ruined it for everyone (my daughter was NOT their only focus). I know the owners were frustrated with the parents of those kids as well and it was bad all the way around. Part of the problem is that my daughter is quiet. She thinks she should not complain because it is the coaches' job to handle it and complaining is questioning the job they are doing. It has been very hard to get through to her that it is not disrespectful to make your coach aware. I suggested she could ask for help communicating with her stunt group, or tips to work well together as ways to allow her to make the coaches aware but in a way that works with her personality. She opted not to do so. I think her silence on the matter made her coaches decide it was not a big deal. It was a really tough year for sure!

If my daughter were younger, this would be a no brainer. I would pull her no questions asked. She is not a little girl anymore and I feel like her opinion has to have some weight. THAT'S what is causing my hesitation. If she WANTS to be there, if she feels that despite the negativity and the stress that is where she wants to be, do I have the right to say no? It's her sport after all... but I am the adult.... so round and round I go.

She will do a private tryout Tuesday night at another gym. We have friends there so she will see them that night. Hopefully it will be a positive experience and remind her that is missing where she is now.

For what it is worth, when our old gym went out of business the kids ended up at about 4 or 5 gyms in the greater area. We have been lucky to be able to maintain friendships with most of our old friends and have gone to their various gyms throughout the 2 seasons (and they have come to ours). It has given her a chance to experience the other gyms and their coaches and she has never felt awkward about walking into any of those places whether we know are friends are there or not for the event. I think that should make a transition easier if we do change.

Back