Lower Level Open Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe I've seen this question or post about it. Does anyone know of any lower level OPEN Age teams in the US below open 4?

I don't believe I've seen this question or post about it. Does anyone know of any lower level OPEN Age teams in the US below open 4?
There are currently no divisions or trial divisions below level 4. Open 4 started out as a trial in 2011-2012, so it could come in the future.

There are currently no divisions or trial divisions below level 4. Open 4 started out as a trial in 2011-2012, so it could come in the future.
Thanks for that. Isn't there international DIVISIONS by the IASF or did they do away with that ?

Last edited:
I always find this so interesting. In Australia we have Open levels 1.0, 1, 2.0, 2, 3, 4, 4.2, 5.0, 5R & 6. I think because Australia is so far behind the US it makes a lot of sense for lower levels to be available to older teens and young adults to grow teams and clubs here.

I always find this so interesting. In Australia we have Open levels 1.0, 1, 2.0, 2, 3, 4, 4.2, 5.0, 5R & 6. I think because Australia is so far behind the US it makes a lot of sense for lower levels to be available to older teens and young adults to grow teams and clubs here.
I remember hearing at Spring CDT coaches conference that your lowel levels open teams are HUGE over there. It is amazing!

Isn't the Non-tumbling divisions open? I can't keep all of them straight but I am loving the global divisions!

Isn't the Non-tumbling divisions open? I can't keep all of them straight but I am loving the global divisions!
Yes, it is. IASF also has non-tumbling divisions in most ages/levels, just don't think that's something that's started in the US.

Yes, it is. IASF also has non-tumbling divisions in most ages/levels, just don't think that's something that's started in the US.
It's something I think should happen. They seem to have it in other countries. There are so many 18-24 y/o that I know, who would love to start competitive cheer and theres no real place to start.

It's something I think should happen. They seem to have it in other countries. There are so many 18-24 y/o that I know, who would love to start competitive cheer and theres no real place to start.
I hear you. However, most gyms have trouble forming even one open team, let alone multiple teams of different levels. Even the Open 4 division hasn't really taken off in the US. It's tough for gyms, with the exception of mega gyms, to find adults who are committed and willing to pay for an extracurricular activity. I think there's definitely interest, but I don't think there's enough interest to justify creating additional divisions, which is probably why lower level open divisions don't exist.

I hear you. However, most gyms have trouble forming even one open team, let alone multiple teams of different levels. Even the Open 4 division hasn't really taken off in the US. It's tough for gyms, with the exception of mega gyms, to find adults who are committed and willing to pay for an extracurricular activity. I think there's definitely interest, but I don't think there's enough interest to justify creating additional divisions, which is probably why lower level open divisions don't exist.
There is a financial impact to opening new divisions which makes it worthwhile for summit/worlds but there is also a huge financial impact for gyms as they need more mats / space and different schedules to adapt to having more teams , with the exception of Non tumbling (LL for example) which was planned way in advance. Parents also have to pay for that financial impact to gyms as participation increases , so do prices

Wasn’t sure where to ask, do open 4 teams still go to summit? I Remember it was being added, but then I never heard much about it.

If they had a level 1.0 open, I could see some gyms actually having parent teams that perform at more than just a showcase. I mean, we’re there anyway :).

Back