All-Star Missing School For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 17, 2012
At my school when your absent you have to write a note to have your absence excused. And i would like to know what you put down for your child's excuse for missing school. Do you say things like he/she was absent because of sickness, vacation, stuff like that.

My mom always puts sickness. She writes "Please excuse my daughter for being absent on so and so dye. She wasn't feeling well". Short and simple and gets excused!

i used to give a comp schedule to my teachers and let them know ahead of time. they were all mostly okay with it. but i did miss a couple test i couldnt retake nothing major.
do everything in advance. dont wait till after youve been absent to expect to be excused.

Haha.. I decided this past season (this current school year in 1st grade) that I wasn't writing notes. They sent me a letter and said if my child missed 1 more day I can go to jail blah blah blah.
FYI she only missed 6 days total ... But because I didn't write a note they were all unexcused.

Her teacher knew she had competitions because my daughter would tell her. My daughter would also always come back to school on a Tuesday with glitter in her hair and a poof. Lol so it was blatantly obvious.

Now that I know this I'm just doing what I did kindergarten year and saying she was sick because those were all excused. If I say she was at a cheer competition yeah the teacher doesn't care and work will be made up usually but it goes on her school record as unexcused and don't help you at all. So by lying and saying she was sick solves all the problems.

Be thankful for that policy. My high school was 8 absences no matter what. Doctors note, parents note, anything. I cheered 3 of my 4 years of high school and I was over on absences 3 of 4 years too. You either paid and made up the hours you missed in an online classroom thing after school or you failed the class.

Double check and triple check your schools attendance policies, you don't want to end up like I did!

I have been rather fortunate thus far. The first year CP missed no days because of cheer. Last year we left on Friday for MB, and I checked her out of school at 11:25 am. Little did I know if you check them out of school before 11:30 it is counted as a whole day. Sooo... she got dinged for a whole day over 5 minutes, and all she missed was art, lunch, recess, and 1 core subject. But whatever... this year our MB trip happened to fall on the weekend that was the end of the marking period, so they got out 1/2 day early (ironic, right) on Thursday and were off on Friday, so she missed no days for cheer this season either. Had I known her J2 awards were at 7:30 Sunday night, we would have stayed over and drove home Monday morning, and she could have been late to school, but that's in the past and I can't change it now.

The only way days are excused at my schol is if you have a doctors note or if you fill out and educational vacation form and get it approved. When I go away on longer trips my mom always writes that I am stopping at a historical landmark to make it educational. She also says that I can win scholarship money at the competition....the school must think I'm really bad at cheerleading considering I didn't win any haha. They don't accept a hand written note anymore. I just had knee surgery and missed school for it, my mom wrote a note saying I had surgery, it was unexcused. I think that is a little ridiculous.

We're allowed 5 unexcused days a semester before they're "excessively absent" at the elementary level, 2 a marking period secondary.

For those of you who don't like to make waves and will be only missing a couple non-consecutive days during the year, a "doctor's or dentist's appointment" counts around here as sick-excused, and allows you to let the teacher know ahead of time.

Now I am sure that times have changed, but when I was an all star cheerleader in high school it was my senior year 2007 and we were going to Final Destination "Worlds" (not even close but thats a whole 'nother convo in itself) anywho.. It was the biggest competition my team has ever been to and me and my best friend were on this team together. Our parents told the school that we were on an elite cheer team and would not be attending school friday or monday. They told the school that this was a great opportunity for us and it is compared to being on an olympic team (not so true but apparently it worked). SO they excused our absences and even wished us luck over the morning and after school announcements lol ! It was pretty cool and I am wondering if the same thing would happen today to other people if they pulled that "excuse"? TRY IT ! :p

I have heard that some of the athletes at my gym have worked with their high school to get their World's absences excused because World's is a college recruiting opportunity for them (probably wouldn't work for a 12 year old).

My school district allows 10 unexcused absences before they send you to jail (smile) and they allow you just three days after the absence to get your written excuse in. We don't have nearly that many unexcused absences due to cheer so I simply don't send in a note and they are recorded as unexcused. I know a few of my kids' absences due to illness have been recorded as unexcused simply because I didn't get a note written and sent to school in time.

i got excused from my end of year exams at university for worlds! i was studying architecture and they were pretty okay with the fact it was the world championships and i was travelling all the way to florida ... but i was on a national team (team scotland) so i think its maybe a bit different?

i used to give a comp schedule to my teachers and let them know ahead of time. they were all mostly okay with it. but i did miss a couple test i couldnt retake nothing major.
do everything in advance. dont wait till after youve been absent to expect to be excused.

Oh my daughter's school is VERY clear on this. They don't care how long in advance you tell them. If they're not sick its not excused. Period. So we just say she was sick. Her teacher knows where she was really, but as long as the written documentation in her file says sick the teacher is fine. I would never tell the attendance people though! And I would never tell anyone where she really was - her teacher just figures it out. But telling them in advance would guarantee it would go as unexcused.

I didn't know attendance policies at schools were so strict. My school really doesn't care how many days you miss as long as you have good grades and don't get in trouble. I've missed at least like 11 days this year. They haven't said one thing to me.

I didn't know attendance policies at schools were so strict. My school really doesn't care how many days you miss as long as you have good grades and don't get in trouble. I've missed at least like 11 days this year. They haven't said one thing to me.

I'm sure they would care eventually since the law requires that every student attend a certain number of days per school per year, regardless of grades. You probably just aren't anywhere near the number of absences where they say something. My cp is a straight A student and they sent a letter at 12 absences (excused - she was extremely sick and missed 9 days at one time) - the letter said she could miss 5 more days, but at 6 she would have to, by law, go to summer school or repeat the grade. This was in Illinois. Needless to say she wasn't absent again...

Back