Multiple Jumps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
I'm trying to improve my jumps and my next goal is to connect two toe touches. I've been watching loads of youtube videos but I'd love to get some tips from you that helped you...
I think, my problem is that I don't get enough energy for the second jump. It feels really slow, as if I'm an elephant... I only have hard floor available to train so I guess that is even more frustrating. ;) Any motivation from you guys? Looks like I really suck at jumps and we never practice them during practice because we don't compete at the moment... :(

Make sure that when you land the first toe touch, your chest is ip amd your knees bent ready to go for the second jump. If your chest is down then it will be so much more harder to get your legs up! Snap your legs down in your jumps to get them faster! But dont sacarifice technique for height. Try using ankle weights for drills and doing side leg lifts!! Hope this helps:)

Thanks a lot! I'll definitly make sure, I pay more attention to my chest being up. Didn't think about this so far at all!
I guess I also have problems with getting my legs together fast enough to land with my feet closed.
Luckily this is something I can practice at home as my apartment is on the ground floor. :D

P.S. How long did it take you until you started to notice an improvement? Guess, I have to be patient, right? ;)

It's taken me aaaages to get my double toes looking pretty and consistently parallel to the ground. Add some plyometrics to your workout, helps build the fast twitch muscles to make you explode faster off the ground. When doing toe touches, remember to jump up and then snap your legs up, you'll cut of your height if you don't wait that split second. The extra height should help give you that little bit of time to snap your legs together ready for second jump. I also read somewhere here about sitting into the jump a little at the top to pull your chest up and rotate your hips under.

Your jumps are going to look so pretty on a sprung (spring?) floor if you can do it on a dead mat!

P.S. How long did it take you until you started to notice an improvement? Guess, I have to be patient, right? ;)
I'm still working on getting the height there but it took my all summer to stop dropping my chest! I had always dropped my chest in my jumps to back. It just takes muscle memory but you will get it! Stay persistant and dont give up:) when you land them , pull your ankles together as fast as you can! (just dont slam them against eachother, ha that hurts!!)

I also used jumps bands that made me use more force to get my legs up. If you do 20 jumps with the bands then you take them off and your jumps are 10 times easier!!

Thank you so much!! I think, as of yesterday, I will start doing jump drills and stretch, when I watch TV. Just gotta be committed, right? :)

You might also try, to teach your uper body the right placements, work on making your upper body in perfect position, by just doing wip prep jumps, maybe even wip spread eagals so you can work on snapping your ankles together with out the pressure of getting your legs high. Then once you get the technique down start lifting your legs higher and higher. Good luck!:D Oh and the drills and stretching everyday will rely help;)

Back