Muscle Memory!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 24, 2010
I have been working on my layout for about four years. Its probably the most frustrating thing because I feel like it never improves. Im pretty sure its because of muscle memory. Are there anyways to get rid of it? Has anyone tried hynosis and it worked?

i got rid of my bad layout habits when i took a year off. i dont suggest that though lol just work on your core alot and focus on not piking over! Try to always stay in the candle stick position. Doing candlestick drills and planks will help engage that ab area you you in your layout!

/quote="cheerheart4life, post: 425844"]i got rid of my bad layout habits when i took a year off. i dont suggest that though lol just work on your core alot and focus on not piking over! Try to always stay in the candle stick position. Doing candlestick drills and planks will help engage that ab area you you in your layout![/quote]

what are candle sticks?

what are candle sticks?
Advanced leg lift - Lie on your back with your legs straight. Place each hand palm down, just under each respective glute. Keeping your head in, and body hollow, lift your toes towards the ceiling. Just before your legs reach vertical extend your torso to lift your lower back off the floor. The top point is a candlestick.
(from: http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/core)

Although whenever I did candlesticks I thought you had to roll back down and jump up in the air... does that have a different name?

Advanced leg lift - Lie on your back with your legs straight. Place each hand palm down, just under each respective glute. Keeping your head in, and body hollow, lift your toes towards the ceiling. Just before your legs reach vertical extend your torso to lift your lower back off the floor. The top point is a candlestick.
(from: http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/core)

Although whenever I did candlesticks I thought you had to roll back down and jump up in the air... does that have a different name?
Awesome thats it!! They can be done with or without the jump. I swear by the them!

Try switching the place in which your throwing it on. For instance if you try throwing it by yourself on tumble track or on rod floor over and over, really taking advantage of the spring it'll give you, feeling how much air time you can get and really focus on your set and all the little things on the tumble track or rod floor. This REALLY helped me in making my layout more prepared for a full.

Drills drills drills. If you are able to, try taking a tumbling class or some privates with a gymmastics tumbling coach. A lot of times just having a different perspective on how the skill is taught can make a world a difference. It really helped my cp with her full. Good luck!

Back