New To Flying

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2013
Hi! I've recently been made a flyer on my 4.2 team after being a base for 5 years & I'd like to get some tips and some input on how to improve my skills! I do well with the basics, but need some tips for more advanced skills. I'll be posting some videos now and then and would love some feedback! I want to be as good as a flyer as I was with basing. Feel free to say whatever you think will help!

Ride the pop a bit longer. If it's a two count pop starting on 1, you shouldn't spin until almost 5.

Squeeze your legs together. The first spin is good because you're tight and hollow, but you stop yourself in the second spin when your ankles come apart. Watch how you suddenly stop spinning as soon as your legs come apart. It causes to you begin spinning in several pieces instead of one. I had the same issue when I was first learning to double. Concentrate on making your inside ankle bumps touch and squeezing your tummy and booty.

I used to land my double downs the exact same way! One thing that really helped me personally was focusing on keeping my feet and legs together and not opening up too early. I would always feel like the double is over at 1 and a half so I would open up early but if you think to yourself "just keep spinning" even when you think the twist is over it will help you complete the double.

I cheered at scorpions for 2 years then did a year at pct cobras & loved it to death. But my parents got jobs and moved out of town so I had no one to drive me to cobras as it was an hour away, so i had to go back to scorpions as id rather go back than quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also- any tips on stretching? I believe im the most non-flexible flyer in the history of cheerleading & i really want to change that... I know you have to stretch everyday, but are there certain stretches that show better results?

Coach Sarah from CEA (our flyer and flexibility guru) made some pretty awesome videos for fleibility training. I will link one here. Just search "Cheer Extreme Instructional Series" and you'll find them for specific body positions.

Coach Sarah from CEA (our flyer and flexibility guru) made some pretty awesome videos for fleibility training. I will link one here. Just search "Cheer Extreme Instructional Series" and you'll find them for specific body positions.

these videos are great! thanks for sharing :D

Keep those elbows in when your twisting down. You can knock out your bases teeth. Speaking from experience, it SUCKS

Back