All-Star No More Double Downs In High School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Also, what now happens to the kids who want to make college teams but don't have a level 4 or 5 allstar team around them to learn to double on? Do all kids HAVE to do allstar now? Everyone knows I'm the biggest supporter of allstar cheer but for some kids it's just simply not an option.

Also, what now happens to the kids who want to make college teams but don't have a level 4 or 5 allstar team around them to learn to double on? Do all kids HAVE to do allstar now? Everyone knows I'm the biggest supporter of allstar cheer but for some kids it's just simply not an option.

All the other sports where kids go off to compete in college came from allstar like programs (travel ball or soccer, allstar baketball leagues). Because some kids don't have access to allstar is not a reason to keep this rule around.

And certification does not mean you are a master at a skill. It just means you have a certificate to point at to say you are certified in case something goes wrong.

Instead of changing the rule to eliminate doubles in high school, why don't we change the rules to require high school coaches to be properly certified?
While this is a great idea, most schools don't have the proper mats to practice on let alone a coach that really wants to coach. Many of the teams competing in the hs division are still coached by 'sponsor' moms that might do the test but never really get it, if that makes sense.

All the other sports where kids go off to compete in college came from allstar like programs (travel ball or soccer, allstar baketball leagues). Because some kids don't have access to allstar is not a reason to keep this rule around.

And certification does not mean you are a master at a skill. It just means you have a certificate to point at to say you are certified in case something goes wrong.

But in these travel/rec teams, the kids are allowed to perform all the same skills as they would on their high school teams, are they not? It's not like once you join a travel soccer team you're all of a sudden allowed to head the ball or allowed to dunk on a travel basketball team. All the same skills can be gained from their school teams. The same can not be said for this situation.

I just think college cheer will take a huge hit from this.

But in these travel/rec teams, the kids are allowed to perform all the same skills as they would on their high school teams, are they not? It's not like once you join a travel soccer team you're all of a sudden allowed to head the ball or allowed to dunk on a travel basketball team. All the same skills can be gained from their school teams. The same can not be said for this situation.

College cheer is teeny as is and has been dying anyway. Outside of the intermediate on the NCA side which has gotten huge.

I agree with cheerKT that I wish and pray daily that stiffer requirements would be put on coaches (all-star included) BUT bc of the fact that requirements WON'T change I agree with this rule 100%. I also agree with cheerKT that it makes absolutely NO sense to REMOVE double downs but ADD braced inversions!?

Now I have spoken up a lot lately in regards to NOT removing elements from all-star cheerleading but there is a BIG difference! The BIG difference is (for the most part) you have a CHOICE in all-star, you can CHOOSE to go to a different gym, you have NO choice to change high schools.

I know my college team is nowhere near as strong as many others, but I just have a hard time seeing this being a huge disqualifier for making a college team. We spent the summer and into football season teaching new flyers to the team how to double down. There is plenty of time in the season to work on those skills. Coaches look at potential not just current skills.

(Sorry, last post. Keep running out of time to edit)

Call me crazy, but I think it's a little weird to eliminate double downs for safety reasons at the same time you decide to allow suspended braced pyramid inversions.
Inversions in high school are also illegal... so are high to high tick tocks... sooon theyre going to take away twisting from tumbling... smh
:banghead:

I just look at what happens to the girls who want to go on to cheer at OSU, Louisville, HPU, ect. but have never been taught how to double down. I know that they can go to college clinics or join an all star team, but not everyone can afford to join an allstar team or travel to these college clinics.
I understand the point of the rule and thing to help what they are doing it is great, I just think it has negatives against it that I just don't like.

I also can't understand why they would remove double downs but now allow braced inversions in pryamids.

Inversions in high school are also illegal... so are high to high tick tocks... sooon theyre going to take away twisting from tumbling... smh
:banghead:

They are adding braced inversions making them legal now.

I just look at what happens to the girls who want to go on to cheer at OSU, Louisville, HPU, ect. but have never been taught how to double down. I know that they can go to college clinics or join an all star team, but not everyone can afford to join an allstar team or travel to these college clinics.

This may be completely off base, but I just can't imagine a high school girl with only high school experience even wanting to go to these schools. These schools thrive because they are a continuation of all star in a sense.... They have the best of the best in the all star world, and many times the kids can cheer both for the school and for all star open teams. In my mind, the teams you stated about are the who's who of all stars, not kids that are being held back by their HS teams and the rules of HS.

Back