All-Star Non-worlds International Level 4

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 13, 2009
Hello everyone,

My name is Cory Hines a coach and choreographer with the Top Gun All Stars down in Miami, Fl. I’m writing you today to try and rally support for an idea that I think could bring in a few more paying athletes into your gym as well as give some deserving but skill wise dismissed athletes an opportunity to continue cheering.

As I do choreography throughout the country I see so many athletes at various gyms who are still passionate and have the finances and time to commit to cheering but who have aged out of the senior bracket and don’t fit a strong enough criteria to join an International 5 or International 6. Even closer to home I love the kids who have graduated from our gyms Level 3 and 4 senior teams, some of whom are on the local college team but others who have simply become supporters b/c they felt they didn’t have an option as the standards set for our i5 and i6 surpass their own skills.

Here’s what I propose,

With the majority of All Star tryouts coming up soon what if we were able to tell those athletes still looking for a competitive non-level 5 or 6 experience that we will be fielding a team for them?

If we can get 10 gyms across the country to build a 24 member Level 4 team of Open age athletes than surely we can speak to companies like All Star Challenge, Cheerpsort, Jamfest etc to offer the division.

Please don’t get me wrong, I have no intentions of seeing this as a World’s division I’ve just seen so many great and talented at their respective level athletes graduate and still have the passion to be a part of the programs they loved competing on as seniors.

In the end, it makes a great group of athletes happy, can bring in extra income to a gym (monthlies, privates etc), will be extra funds to a competition company and it wouldn’t be creating another division that would take away from one already in existence b/c the majority of these athletes are either not cheering or on a level 5 or 6 team that they were possibly not ready for.

I’ll be making this pitch to coaches, event organizers and on the Fierce boards as a means to rally support and hopefully keep track of those interested and see how we can make this division develop.

If you have any ideas, questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Cory Hines

I really llike the idea of giving those level 4 athletes an opportunity to continue doing what they love! would this be a 14+ age division?

If the idea is truly to not take away and dilute the numbers of participants from other divisions (Senior 3 & 4 and Senior Coed 3 & 4) than I would think the age requirements should mirror those of the International 6 meaning 17 and up.

I'd also like to add that the intermediate divisions at NCA College Nationals in Daytona this past weekend had record numbers so there is definitely a market for this out there.

Well, I have a daughter who is turning 17 in September. She is Level 3 and is very worried about aging out in 2 seasons. She is really working hard hoping to get enough skills to make a 5 or 6 team when that time comes, but realistically we both know she will either not make the team, or be on a team that she is in no way ready to be on (now of course I could be wrong and she could be throwing doubles in 2 years...but I just don't see that happening :oops:). This would make her ECSTATIC. And yes, we'd pay to keep her in the sport she LOVES.

So you can count me as someone in support of this. :) She's already trying to look at colleges that are near gyms that offer a team she has a prayer of making once she ages out. I'd really like her to look at colleges that are good for her, not based on what gyms they're near! :eek:

LOVE this idea. I find lots of athletes do a level 6 because of the sparse competition just to have a team. But 6 is a good bit beyond their ability. I think a 4 is a perfect way to do this, and it makes it all safer.

LOVE this idea. I find lots of athletes do a level 6 because of the sparse competition just to have a team. But 6 is a good bit beyond their ability. I think a 4 is a perfect way to do this, and it makes it all safer.
Very true. There are plenty of teams out there attempting level 6 skills that are way too dangerous for them. And half the time, even the most basic pyramids look scary when they compete them. Not to mention the back tuck baskets 3 inches above the bases heads.

I think it's an awesome idea and I'm confident that more than 10 gyms would easily be able to field a team in this division given the time to advertise it to athletes that would meet the qualifications! I could see it being quite a competitive division at the larger nationals

What if you made it 20+ people and gave it the same rules as intermediate at NCA? That way college teams could compete as well?

sounds good, lets go for it! Maybe that will get more traction than the open 4 that was on the rules voting slate

I am pretty against adding extra divisions at any level - but more so, I am more for safety of athletes. I am so tired of seeing all of these teams in International 6 that are CLEARLY International 4 trying to throw level 6 skills.

I would like it to be the same rules as Level 4...

I am pretty against adding extra divisions at any level - but more so, I am more for safety of athletes. I am so tired of seeing all of these teams in International 6 that are CLEARLY International 4 trying to throw level 6 skills.

I would like it to be the same rules as Level 4...
I think it could even be the same rules for Level 4 with the addition of tuck baskets.

Back