One Handed Cartwheel (level 1)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 31, 2014
I thought in level 1 you could not do one handed cartwheels but many teams last year during competitions were throwing one handed cartwheels, was there a rule change? or a lot of teams not knowing the rules Thanks:)

It is defiantly illegal. I think its because both hands are not touching the surface mat. Correct me I'm wrong. FYI: I havn't had a bit of all star cheerleading experience, but I'm just "studying" some rules and getting familiar with them because I wish to a be coach one day with the little experience I do have in cheer.

That's my only guess as to why it may be illegal.

It is defiantly illegal. I think its because both hands are not touching the surface mat. Correct me I'm wrong. FYI: I havn't had a bit of all star cheerleading experience, but I'm just "studying" some rules and getting familiar with them because I wish to a be coach one day with the little experience I do have in cheer.

That's my only guess as to why it may be illegal.
You're correct. It's because level 1 skills require two hands on the ground during inversions.

The definition of cartwheel states: "a non-aerial tumbling skill where the athlete supports the weight of their body with their arm(s) [notice the 's' is in brackets] while rotating sideways through an inverted position landing on one foot at a time.

Level 1 Standing/Running Tumbling C. States that cartwheels and round offs are allowed.

There is no point where the level 1 rules state a cartwheel must be performed with both hands. The only stipulation for tumbling at level 1 is standing/running tumbling A. Which states that skills must involve constant physical contact with the performing surface (only exceptions are block cartwheels and round offs).

So by those rules and definitions, as long as your athlete performs the 1 handed cartwheel with constant contact with the performing surface, it is legal.

The only way to be 100% certain, however, is to send a video to the usasf (make sure you follow the guidelines on their website).

You're correct. It's because level 1 skills require two hands on the ground during inversions.

Inversions in level 1 are illegal with the exception of an assisted handstand on the performing surface and tumbling .. and under the tumbling rules there is no such stipulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The definition of cartwheel states: "a non-aerial tumbling skill where the athlete supports the weight of their body with their arm(s) [notice the 's' is in brackets] while rotating sideways through an inverted position landing on one foot at a time.

Level 1 Standing/Running Tumbling C. States that cartwheels and round offs are allowed.

There is no point where the level 1 rules state a cartwheel must be performed with both hands. The only stipulation for tumbling at level 1 is standing/running tumbling A. Which states that skills must involve constant physical contact with the performing surface (only exceptions are block cartwheels and round offs).

So by those rules and definitions, as long as your athlete performs the 1 handed cartwheel with constant contact with the performing surface, it is legal.

The only way to be 100% certain, however, is to send a video to the usasf (make sure you follow the guidelines on their website).
The skill was illegal when this thread was started. I'm not sure why all these old threads are popping up.

The skill was illegal when this thread was started. I'm not sure why all these old threads are popping up.

Ahhh gotcha! I'm using the app and it just pops up as a new thread! I'll check original dates from now on! Good to know! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back