Please Help! Tumbling Tips Needed!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2014
Hi everyone! So I need some tips on my tumbling. I'll give you a little background info first.

So I did gymnastics for yrs when I was younger but then lost my skills. I then joined school cheerleading in middle school but got a mental block on my bhs and couldn't get it back. In 9th grade I finally got it again. Now I am a sophomore and have joined the half year team at Cheer Athletics Austin. The problem is i've injured my forearms. My arms are bending in my bhs from my round off which is putting too much stress on them for a while now. I tried physical therapy but it didn't work. I'm getting an MRI tomorrow to see what could be wrong. Anyways I have to take a break from any contact with my arm/wrist area for a few weeks (don't know how long yet). Well I was planning on trying out for the full allstar season but I'm concerned my skills will be lacking now. I could practically do a round off bhs back tuck by myself in January but had stopped working on them bc my arms were in too much pain for me to push myself to keep working. I had originally been shooting to make level 4 but now Idk if that can happen...

So here's my questions.
Once I get back to working on tumbling (probably end March early April) I am going to get private lessons to see what we can tweak so my bhs will be fixed. Once thats all good I am gonna be working on getting my skills quickly. Tryouts are in May, do y'all think I would be able to make level 3 or maybe just maybe even level 4? I know the requirements for level three are round off bhs back tuck and multiple standing bhs. That doesn't seem very hard since I practically had my round off bhs back tuck and could also do two standing bhs in a row. But level 4 is round off bhs layout and standing back handsprings to tuck/layout and standing tuck. I feel like the running tumbling and the standing tuck I wouldn't have problems with but I feel like it could take me a bit longer to get standing bhs to layout. What do y'all think?
Also I almost had my standing tuck when I was working on it. While I'm on tumbling break I can still work on standing tucks. Do y'all think I could get that in a few weeks? I can do it off the edge of a stacked mat and have a lightish spot on the ground.

I'm pretty bummed about my arms, but I just want them to get better so that I can get my skills advanced for the next season.
Thanks for reading this superrrr long post!!
xoxo

I think it depends on how determined you are and the amount of work you put in to it. My CP is working on her standing tuck and mentally, she's having issues. Physically she has everything she needs (and has for months now) but she just doesn't think she can do it. Therefore she still struggles. I'm more worried about your handsprings and the layout. Do you think you will have the time to get those skills solid before tryouts?

Don't push it too fast. Being that it's CA, you're probably not going to make level 4 with just learned level 4 tumbling skills. I would shoot for great technique on your level 3 skills and work specialty passes through to tuck.

Thanks everybody who's answered so far. I definitely agree with y'all's opinions! They think I won't have a problem with getting my back handsprings fixed once I come back in with a fresh mind and healed arms. Also I was just wondering if any of y'all happened to know if CA ever moves people up on teams during the summer before you actually start learning your choreography.

Back