High School Politics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 14, 2010
I've always been against politics effecting team placements or spots in cheerleading, but i've been caught up in it anyways. I just want some re-assurance that what i'm thinking of doing is right. Or maybe someone needs to tell me i'm crazy for thinking of doing this!

The deal: Girl A has zero tumbling (almost everyone else has a tuck, all the rest have handsprings)
Girl A keeps getting concussions. They are easy to get after you've had one.
And Girl A is not a pro stunter, good, but not irreplaceable.
Her parents are HUGE in the booster club, and have helped make the program what it is today. I've been coaching her since she was in 6th grade, she is now an 11th grader.

Girl B has a tuck, and is a fine stunter, not fantastic, but gets the job done just as well as Girl A.
Her parents are very disconnected, and are totally fine with her being off the mat. Her parents played sports in college and understand you have to work for your spot.

I want to take Girl A off of the floor, and put on Girl B. Is it worth the drama? I'm not sure.

Was it stated at tryouts that tumbling was a requirement for mat? If so then I would take girl A off the mat. Now as far as her getting concussions, I feel like the Athletic Director and coach needs to sit down with the athlete and the parents to discuss if her doctor thinks it is alright with her even continuing to be put on the floor.

Does Girl A know this is a possibility or will this come out of nowhere? Is girl A legitimately trying to improve or is she even fazed that she isn't pulling her weight on the team? Is the rest of the team being effected by the fact that this girl doesn't have the required skills? I had a somewhat similar decision earlier this year. A new talented girl with disconnected parents vs a returner with amazing parents but lacking in keeping her skills up. I pulled the girl aside and let her know what was up. Mom was NOT happy at first, but after I spoke with her, she got it. She has greatly stepped it up and got her tumbling and stunting skills. It made it very real for her when I told her she had a month before I could no longer keep her in her spot.

Since she is a girl you've coached for so long, and her parents contribute so much I don't think I would do anything before talking with them. Then afterwards I would make the best decision for the team as a whole, even if you have to do the hard thing and replace her. I also would clue in the AD as to whats going on just in case. You never know which parents will choose to explode things and twist them to the AD. If he/she knows ahead of time they know the "real" situation and can be prepared for it should it turn into drama.

Was it stated at tryouts that tumbling was a requirement for mat? If so then I would take girl A off the mat. Now as far as her getting concussions, I feel like the Athletic Director and coach needs to sit down with the athlete and the parents to discuss if her doctor thinks it is alright with her even continuing to be put on the floor.
Agree! I think it should be a discussion on why this girl has been getting so many concussions and if its smart or safe for her to continue. The best answer may be for her to stay on the team as a sideline cheerleader and let the other girl take the competition spot. I don't know how many she's had but it sounds like its already passed a few, which is more than she should have!

The situation doesn't look too difficult, to me. Just figure out, based on proven talent, whether it would be easier to teach Girl A to tumble or Girl B to stunt better, choose that girl, and bust your behind making sure whichever girl you choose can pull her weight.
I'd be more worried about every other athlete and parent related to the team than Girl A's parents, if I was you. You'll have to explain your decision to a lot of people, all season long, and I don't think you want to have to say "Oh, Girl A's parents help a lot with Booster Club," as the logic behind your decision.

is there anyone else besides girl A that can be taken off the matt?

She is the only one without a handspring, she is also in the only group going straight up.

i wouldnt do that to Girl A.

What about girl B? I have 17 on my medium varsity squad. They all knew going into it that one girl would be off of the mat. We have no set "alternates". Everyone is equal.

Does Girl A know this is a possibility or will this come out of nowhere? Is girl A legitimately trying to improve or is she even fazed that she isn't pulling her weight on the team? Is the rest of the team being effected by the fact that this girl doesn't have the required skills? I had a somewhat similar decision earlier this year. A new talented girl with disconnected parents vs a returner with amazing parents but lacking in keeping her skills up. I pulled the girl aside and let her know what was up. Mom was NOT happy at first, but after I spoke with her, she got it. She has greatly stepped it up and got her tumbling and stunting skills. It made it very real for her when I told her she had a month before I could no longer keep her in her spot.

Since she is a girl you've coached for so long, and her parents contribute so much I don't think I would do anything before talking with them. Then afterwards I would make the best decision for the team as a whole, even if you have to do the hard thing and replace her. I also would clue in the AD as to whats going on just in case. You never know which parents will choose to explode things and twist them to the AD. If he/she knows ahead of time they know the "real" situation and can be prepared for it should it turn into drama.

All of the girls know that they could all be taken off the mat at anytime. They all need to keep working for their spots all season. Girl A is actually refusing to tumble with the team. (we hire out spotters to come in to the High School every week) She says she's too embarrassed to tumble in front of her team because she is so far behind. She claims that she's going to start going to a gymnastics gym to get private lessons, which is great! But she hasn't been going, she's not even signed up. She says she doesn't have time. The rest of the team has no opinion on it. They have all been with me for several years, i've only graduated 3 seniors in 2 years. Quite a few of them i've coached since elementary school. They let me know all the time that they trust me completely. They've even gone as far as to say that they don't envy the decisions I have to make.

Girl A is actually refusing to tumble with the team. (we hire out spotters to come in to the High School every week) She says she's too embarrassed to tumble in front of her team because she is so far behind. She claims that she's going to start going to a gymnastics gym to get private lessons, which is great! But she hasn't been going, she's not even signed up. She says she doesn't have time.
This would make up my mind right here. If you won't tumble with the group, won't go to privates, then give me girl B who I only have to teach to stunt better, instead of stunt and tumble. And honestly, "I don't want to tumble with the group" wouldn't be an option for my girls and guys. It's either tumble when I tell you to or get out of my gym (I coach college, so maybe that makes a difference.)

All of the girls know that they could all be taken off the mat at anytime. They all need to keep working for their spots all season. Girl A is actually refusing to tumble with the team. (we hire out spotters to come in to the High School every week) She says she's too embarrassed to tumble in front of her team because she is so far behind. She claims that she's going to start going to a gymnastics gym to get private lessons, which is great! But she hasn't been going, she's not even signed up. She says she doesn't have time. The rest of the team has no opinion on it. They have all been with me for several years, i've only graduated 3 seniors in 2 years. Quite a few of them i've coached since elementary school. They let me know all the time that they trust me completely. They've even gone as far as to say that they don't envy the decisions I have to make.

I'm in a similar situation as Girl A (without the competition for team placement) - I have no tumbling whilst girls on my team have tucks etc, so I understand her embarrassment but I don't think she should not be taking part and making false promises about attempting to get better. You said you have spotters come in, is there any chance she could work away from the main team during practises, one-on-one with a spotter so that she is less embarressed, or would it upset the rest of the team?

I'm in a similar situation as Girl A (without the competition for team placement) - I have no tumbling whilst girls on my team have tucks etc, so I understand her embarrassment but I don't think she should not be taking part and making false promises about attempting to get better. You said you have spotters come in, is there any chance she could work away from the main team during practises, one-on-one with a spotter so that she is less embarressed, or would it upset the rest of the team?

Right. I totally understand being embarrassed. And i'm totally cool with her going elsewhere to tumble. But she's not. It wouldn't be fair to take one of the two spotters to work with just one girl. Good thought though.

This would make up my mind right here. If you won't tumble with the group, won't go to privates, then give me girl B who I only have to teach to stunt better, instead of stunt and tumble. And honestly, "I don't want to tumble with the group" wouldn't be an option for my girls and guys. It's either tumble when I tell you to or get out of my gym (I coach college, so maybe that makes a difference.)

Girl B isn't actually a bad stunter. The stunt looks about the same as it does with Girl A. And I wish I could yell at girls like that!

I say girl A goes. She has to understand it's not about her that she can see she doesn't have the skills everyone else does and she can hurt the team.

I'd let her still be on the team or an alternate if someone gets hurt. I'd also let her know that since she is in 11th grade she can still have a shot next year. While using the time leading up till then knowing everything she needs to work on. I think if her parents can see that they may be upset but they would have to understand. Maybe that loss she takes by being told that will push her to get it .. Or it may push her away but I say do what's right for the team!

Right. I totally understand being embarrassed. And i'm totally cool with her going elsewhere to tumble. But she's not. It wouldn't be fair to take one of the two spotters to work with just one girl. Good thought though.

By false promises I meant that she said she was going to go to a gym to work on tumbling but isn't because 'she doesn't have time'. I understood that you were fine with it, I apologise for not being clear. I see the problem with only having two spotters, for some reason I imagined there'd be more :confused:

I'd keep Girl B, but fully explain to Girl A and her parents that at the end of the day for a competition the team with the best skills is needed, and if she wants that spot she needs to get the tumbling either by taking part in practice or taking privates. Why is it she has lower tumbling skills? Is it a mental block/fear of tumbling or just lack of experience? If she is scared of tumbling I would be more sympathetic.

Back