Private Lesson Supervision

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Rudags

Two Time Defending Champion, Board Comedian
Dec 14, 2009
Whats your gym's policy on private lessons and supervision during them? Does the sex of the coach vs. sex of the athlete matter? Does the sexuality of the coach matter? Does it matter purely for safety reasons incase an injury has occured?

With how cheap security cameras are nowadays it's probably worth it to have one installed at a gym. Can be done for less than a grand and prevents a bunch of problems.

From what Ive learned about shady situations regarding inappropriate conduct - is it's normally done verbally or electronically... Would the camera be worth it if "statistics" could back up that claim?

I believe. I think you have to show that you made a conscious effort to prevent as much as you could at your place of business. Also, if the business pays for the cell phone you can log all cell phones texts. Logging company email isn't hard.

If they want inappropriate contact, yes they can do it. It's a matter of how easy you make it AND how much you trust your employees.

I believe. I think you have to show that you made a conscious effort to prevent as much as you could at your place of business. Also, if the business pays for the cell phone you can log all cell phones texts. Logging company email isn't hard.

If they want inappropriate contact, yes they can do it. It's a matter of how easy you make it AND how much you trust your employees.

Completely agree.

Another thing to consider is by having some type of visibility during one-on-one privates be it another gym employee, a parent observation area, a security camera etc... you not only protect the children in your gym but also your employees. When I volunteered in scouts and as a sunday school teacher, both had a 2 adult policy which was in place to protect everyone involved.

As a male cheerleading coach I would NEVER be in the gym alone with an athlete (this is my rule AND the gym rule) if it's an off day or whatever I make their parent come in with them and I really prefer if another gym employee is there... Weather it's true or not I feel like this kind of stuff is more a of guilty until proven innocent kind of thing rather than the other way around so I would highly suggest that you avoid any situation where you are alone with a kid

Another thing to consider is by having some type of visibility during one-on-one privates be it another gym employee, a parent observation area, a security camera etc... you not only protect the children in your gym but also your employees. When I volunteered in scouts and as a sunday school teacher, both had a 2 adult policy which was in place to protect everyone involved.

I totally agree with this. Whether that 2 adult policy is 1 coach/1 parent or 2 coaches, it should be a must in every gym. Security cameras are great but don't monitor every single room in a place of business. It doesn't even necessarily get all corners of the room that it's in. If someone wants to find a way to be hidden, they will.

What about a gay coach with a female athlete - Is that a huge deal?

There may be some leeway there, but, honestly, I don't think it matters. Cheerleading tends to have a liberal view on peoples personnel lives. So anything is possible and no assumptions should be made. If you are a male you should not be alone with an underage female.

I also think in addition to gym policies (cameras, 2 adults, no outside communication that is not cheer related) parents have to have that conversation with the kids about what is acceptable from an "adult" ~ anyone in position of authority. Text messages with inappropriate content, conversations about their love lives, partying, or problems is not acceptable conversation with a teenager. And parents need to bring these issues to the attention of the coaches/owners when they do occur because they can't address what they aren't aware of. Everyone plays a part in keeping our children safe.

I also think in addition to gym policies (cameras, 2 adults, no outside communication that is not cheer related) parents have to have that conversation with the kids about what is acceptable from an "adult" ~ anyone in position of authority. Text messages with inappropriate content, conversations about their love lives, partying, or problems is not acceptable conversation with a teenager. And parents need to bring these issues to the attention of the coaches/owners when they do occur because they can't address what they aren't aware of. Everyone plays a part in keeping our children safe.

Going along with that, I think 99.9% of all cheer coaches are great! Yes, bad apples spoil the bunch for the rest of us, but so many great people in this industry and doing it for all the right reasons. Thats why we have to remember these rules are there NOT just to protect the kids themselves, but also the coaches. It only takes one crazy parent upset her kid isnt point flyer on junior level 3.14 to make up some claim to get rid of the coach they don't like.

It only takes one crazy parent upset her kid isnt point flyer on junior level 3.14 to make up some claim to get rid of the coach they don't like.

"It takes a lifetime to build a reputation, but only minutes to lose it."

Going along with that, I think 99.9% of all cheer coaches are great! Yes, bad apples spoil the bunch for the rest of us, but so many great people in this industry and doing it for all the right reasons. Thats why we have to remember these rules are there NOT just to protect the kids themselves, but also the coaches. It only takes one crazy parent upset her kid isnt point flyer on junior level 3.14 to make up some claim to get rid of the coach they don't like.

That is certainly true. Most are all good! And taking the time to get to know the coaches and the gym can ensure that is the case. As an educator I can certainly atest that in these crazy times you have to constantly be aware of protecting yourself. Sad, but true.

Inappropriate contact isn't limited to sex. What would keep a gay male coach from slapping the hell out of a female athlete?

There just isn't any good reason for lessons to be conducted like this. Too dangerous for everyone involved.

Back