All-Star Question About Judges

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 27, 2010
Are there any rules regarding judges being affiliated with gyms competing at that competition?

Are there any rules regarding judges being affiliated with gyms competing at that competition?
Yes, definately! Whenever you make a committment, or before you do, the company will ask if you work for, with, etc for any allstar team, and they ask for all that you have been affiliated with. I have turned down judging assignments when I knew that a team/gym that I have worked for in the past was in attendance there.. I don't think I would want to judge teams/kids that I have been a coach to anyway...... Not sure however if all companies follow this procedure, but I would think that they do....:fro:

It doesn't appear that all companies do that, (assuming what I was told is correct and considering that it was 2 times removed from the original person making the statement, I really can't be sure), but it makes sense that the companies would want to prevent the appearance of favoritism . Thanks for the information.
P.S. I think it's great that you would just make that choice yourself!

Some companies don't ask. I have, several times, removed myself from judging after finding out that a team I worked with that season is entered in the competition or that my little nieces are competing. Whenever I've done that they've always offered to set it up so that I'm just on the opposite panel-but I don't even want there to be the slightest question in anyone's mind that I influenced the results. Now, let's be honest-it's the cheer world, if you've been in it long enough-everyone knows everyone! You're not going to be 100% "unattached", unless you fly judges in from some other part of the country and even that's not a guarantee.

I know of a very reputable but not always liked event producer that had a local where one of the judges was an aunt to two sisters cheering for several teams at the comp. I'm sure the competition company didn't know this though and we didn't either at the time.

I know of a very reputable but not always liked event producer that had a local where one of the judges was an aunt to two sisters cheering for several teams at the comp. I'm sure the competition company didn't know this though and we didn't either at the time.

This wasn't me! ha ha ha...I always commit to judge a bunch of events, and then my sister in law gives me the girls' schedule and I end up sending a bunch of emails asking to be take off the panels!

Back