R.i.p. Omar

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

L

Lisa Welsh

Read Full Article...

By Lisa D. Welsh

www.CHEERMaD.com

Click the link below to order a Top Gun "Fallen Jags make the best Angels" t-shirt to help defray the costs of Omar and Carlos' expenses.
Help for Omar’s family
Sometimes something so horrible happens that we don’t know what to do with ourselves. Like when a young life is taken away too early.

Last weekend an automobile accident took the life of former Top Gun Carlos Carrera. Last night another Top Gun athlete, Omar Moreno of Coed 2012, who was also in that accident, was taken off life support.
Too young. Too soon.
I watched Omar at Worlds just a few weeks ago when Senior Large 5 Coed placed 3 in a highly competitive showcase of talent. No one knew in that packed arena, full of young adrenalin and pulsing with the expectations of so many, that one of the athletes we were watching would soon cheer no more.
The families of these young men quietly make their decisions; Omar was an organ donor which his parents have respected. They asked Top Gun’s owners for permission to bury their son in his beloved Top Gun uniform. It is a private time but because of the cheer community’s love for Top Gun, it has become a public tribute.
As news travels the social media lines, some people cry, some people ask why.

Some people jump into action like Top Gun cheer moms Melanie Fram and Debbie Butler, who, with Lisa Rodriguez, another cheer mom and owner of Just Cheer Bows. They started a fundraising effort early this morning. Debbie’s daughter Gabi was Omar’s teammate and they have designed a bow for Omar that is being sold for $15; all proceeds will go to both families.
We know that the Moreno family is facing $10,000 in bills alone.
Some 1,500 miles away, another group of cheer moms are organizing to raise money for the families. As soon as she learned about the fundraising needs, Julie Aikey, a cheer mom from my gym at ProAthletics, posted about it in the Pro Booster Club facebook page. Julie has been a cheer mom long enough to know when to stay away from drama and when to jump in, and jump in right away is what she did this afternoon.
I have never been more proud of my gym as I am right now.
Sure, there have been displays of sportsmanship and support but the way ProAthletics gym’s cheer moms and dads have jumped right in to help a cheer family from another gym, they don’t know, in another part of the country, has been heartwarming. Because they are all our kids.
At post time, the Omar bow had not been released but to order it, visit www.JustCheerBows.com or its facebook page for information. The nonprofit organization “Heart for Cheer” is also taking donations for the family.

For those people who would like to order the shirt, but do not live in the US, please use the below link:

Top Gun Fallen Angel - Top Cheer Gear

This site uses the US postal service and the rates are much lower for international shipping. All proceeds will go to the families of Carlos and Omar.

Got mine today and CP wore her to practice tonight and everyone who read it made a comment of hope or said they would add prayers for their families. CP was proud to wear her shirt.

Back